What Wireless Set-Up Do You Use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
I thought it might be good to start a thread for those interested in setting-up a wireless network to see what other people are using and what they think of their products. The only reason is because I just spent the last 2 months trying 3 different wireless routers with varying results.

Computers Used:
Mac mini with Airport Extreme
HP Laptop with built-in Wireless Network Card

D-Link DSL-904
I started with D-Link's DSL-904 ADSL wireless router. Set-up was simple and I was able to connect rather quickly. The only downside was that there was no documentation on wireless security settings for the router and it took a bit of time to get everything sorted. After about 3 weeks of almost no interuptions I began to experience frequent connection drops, sometimes only 1 minute apart. I waited it out for about a week, and afterwards it went back to the store for an exchange of another product.
Final Verdict: 2.5/5 Cheap casing. Ok connection stability. Low-cost. Suitable for user on a budget or someone who is a light Internet user.

Belkin F5D7632
Next was the Belkin F5D7632 ADSL wireless router. As with the D-Link, this one was simple to set-up and connect, but I had problems almost immediately. For some reason my PC would not connect to the router wirelessly if I had any security-enabled measures. While it could have been a faulty router I seriously doubt it because the mini connected fine. The connection, however, was very inconsistent like the D-Link. I returned it after 2 weeks of trying to troubleshoot the problem and went for yet another product.
Final Verdict: 1/5 Good looking design but no ability to stand router on its side. Terrible security. Poor connection stability. Low-Cost. Just rubbish, not suitable for any users except those that plan on using it with ethernet cables.

Netgear DG834G v2
The final one was the Netgear DG834G v2. I first have to say that the design of it is very simplistic but very good looking, matching with Macs better than any other routers out there. So, again, I found the set-up to be a breeze, but this could be due to using 2 other roters, and very simple. Out of all 3 this was the only one that offered to automatically check to see what type of Internet connection you have (great for beginners who don't know what things like PPoA are). I was able to get both computers connected rather easily and didn't run into any snags or problems. Another nice thing to see was that there was no need to remotely reboot the router after every setting change, which was required with the D-Link. The connection so far has been very stable and I've had no drops or interuptions yet.
Final Verdict: 4/5 Great looking and sturdy case. Very good connection stability. A bit overpriced. Perfect for intermediate users who aren't quite ready to fork over the extra $$$'s on the new MIMO routers.

OP
dstopsky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
Please add your own reviews and reports. I'm sure it will be helpful for those looking to purchase to get reviews from Mac users. When researching these products I tended to find mainly PC user reviews, obviously, which was helpful for my laptop but didn't give me a complete picture with the mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
ok..
Computers Used:
iBook G4 w/ airport extreem card
Dell inspiron 8200 w/ linksys instant internet card

Routers:
Linksys WR54G, comes with install disk no program on the disk but you can download a firmware updater. its pretty simple at first but when you learn about the other things it can do all you need is a computer and just type in the routers ip address. WR54G does not stand on its side. i get pretty good signle throughout the house and so does my dads old inspiron.
Overall: 4/5 while good signal it can be lost after walking a distance. sometimes the router will have issues and need a full reset but since tweaking it and updating its firmware i dont need to reset it anymore. the price is ok. i think its around $75 - $100.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Computers on the Network:
iMac g5 with airport extreme and powerbook g4 with airport extreme

Apple Airport Extreme Base Station: (http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/)

4.5/5

Though this router is more expensive than its competitors its incredibly easy setup which makes up for its price. All I had to do was plug in the router to my modem and go through the airport setup assistant and I was online in maybe a few minutes. For security I just turned on the WEB 128 and entered a password for the admin utilities. Wireless printing to my canon i70 was also no big deal to set up. Oh and it also has a built in firewall which is a nice little feature.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only Mac I have here with Wireless is my G4 Sawtooth with Airport card. Both my Thnikpads have PCMCIA Wireless cards, both 11Mbps. Fast enough for the net. One is a Dlink and the other is EDIMax. Both work well. I can take the Thinkpad out to the street and still get signal. That is over 100Feet. I use an Linksys Wireless Access Point and a Netgear MR814V2 Router with Wirelsss. I have one on each side of the house for good coverage. The Linksys gets more range overall than the Netgear.

That is the extent of my Wireless network for the time being anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
PB with airport extreme
laptops with linksys WPC11(i think) and Belkin (F5d6...ver2)

Linksys WAP54g AP

everything works like a charm no difficulties what so ever and i can even do a f/w update on my mac

5/5 from me

H

Harryc

iWonder said:
ok..
Computers Used:
iBook G4 w/ airport extreem card
Dell inspiron 8200 w/ linksys instant internet card

Routers:
Linksys WR54G, comes with install disk no program on the disk but you can download a firmware updater. its pretty simple at first but when you learn about the other things it can do all you need is a computer and just type in the routers ip address. WR54G does not stand on its side. i get pretty good signle throughout the house and so does my dads old inspiron.
Overall: 4/5 while good signal it can be lost after walking a distance. sometimes the router will have issues and need a full reset but since tweaking it and updating its firmware i dont need to reset it anymore. the price is ok. i think its around $75 - $100.
Ditto here - iBook , airport extreme, Linksys WRT54G router. It gets good range, is easy to config, and just works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.