• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Did Microsoft Wipe Apple Off the Map? AP news

I

IChing

By TED BRIDIS
AP Technology Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- As software rivals, Microsoft wants to wipe Apple Computer off the map. With Microsoft's new Web service for satellite photographs, did the world's largest software company find a way to do exactly that?

Internet sleuths discovered that anyone using Microsoft's new "Virtual Earth" Web site for a bird's-eye view of Apple's corporate headquarters saw only a grainy overhead photograph of what appears to be a single, nondescript warehouse and a deserted parking lot - not Apple's sprawling campus, with 11 modern buildings surrounding a plush courtyard.

Microsoft blames an outdated photograph. But Apple's headquarters in Silicon Valley shows up more appropriately for anyone viewing the same location using Google's mapping Web site, which also combines many of the same government-funded satellite and aerial overhead photographs.

Is Microsoft's version of the landscape a fantasy for Bill Gates?
>>>>snip

link: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2005-07-25-19-46-42

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/W/WX10407252339-big.jpg

In this image provided by the U.S. Geological Survey, the headquarters for Apple Computer in Cupertino, Calif., is seen in this image, date unknown. Internet sleuths discovered that anyone using Microsoft's new "Virtual Earth" Web site for a birds-eye view of Apple's corporate headquarters saw only a grainy overhead photograph of what appears to be a single, nondescript warehouse and deserted parking lot, not Apple's sprawling campus

Of course microsoft said it was a mistake.

OP
I

iMe

IChing said:
Microsoft blames an outdated photograph.
I think its just funny how Google Earth has updated pictures...and Microsuck doesnt. Geezzz....can Microsuck get anything right!?!?!

Outdated Photograph!!.......LMAO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Sounds like wishful thinking to me... I can't blame them for wanting Apple out of the way, since the very existence of OS X and the Macintosh makes M$ look bad.

;)

OP
I

IChing

Microsoft's new version OS is called VISTA which

stands for:
viruses, infections, spyware, trojans and adware.

I still use a PC
but I can't believe they opened themselves up with such an easy slam

OP
D

damontgo

IChing said:
Microsoft's new version OS is called VISTA which

stands for:
viruses, infections, spyware, trojans and adware.

I still use a PC
but I can't believe they opened themselves up with such an easy slam

Wow, that is SO great! And SO true!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
IChing said:
By TED BRIDIS
AP Technology Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- As software rivals, Microsoft wants to wipe Apple Computer off the map. With Microsoft's new Web service for satellite photographs, did the world's largest software company find a way to do exactly that?

Internet sleuths discovered that anyone using Microsoft's new "Virtual Earth" Web site for a bird's-eye view of Apple's corporate headquarters saw only a grainy overhead photograph of what appears to be a single, nondescript warehouse and a deserted parking lot - not Apple's sprawling campus, with 11 modern buildings surrounding a plush courtyard.

Microsoft blames an outdated photograph. But Apple's headquarters in Silicon Valley shows up more appropriately for anyone viewing the same location using Google's mapping Web site, which also combines many of the same government-funded satellite and aerial overhead photographs.

Is Microsoft's version of the landscape a fantasy for Bill Gates?
>>>>snip

link: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2005-07-25-19-46-42

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/W/WX10407252339-big.jpg

In this image provided by the U.S. Geological Survey, the headquarters for Apple Computer in Cupertino, Calif., is seen in this image, date unknown. Internet sleuths discovered that anyone using Microsoft's new "Virtual Earth" Web site for a birds-eye view of Apple's corporate headquarters saw only a grainy overhead photograph of what appears to be a single, nondescript warehouse and deserted parking lot, not Apple's sprawling campus

Of course microsoft said it was a mistake.

The satellite photo is from before the Apple campus was built. Seeing as they buy the map data from other companies this just means that that particular section of the map was older. Also, if you check out lower Manhattan you can see the Word Trade Center buildings. Must be some sort of conspiracy.

Google maps have tons of similar pictures (for example, the 5 year old sub-division my sister lives in appears to be an orchard from the satellite pic).

Another non-story for Mac fanatics to go crazy over. What ever happened to critical thinking?

OP
I

IChing

Microsoft stated in the AP story they blamed it on an outdated photo,

Microsoft said this to AP not me, still makes you wonder
and this piece was for humor.
humor

noun
1 the quality of being amusing or comic, esp. as expressed in literature or speech : his tales are full of humor. See note at wit .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
IChing said:
Microsoft stated in the AP story they blamed it on an outdated photo,

Microsoft said this to AP not me, still makes you wonder
and this piece was for humor.
humor

noun
1 the quality of being amusing or comic, esp. as expressed in literature or speech : his tales are full of humor. See note at wit .

Fair enough. But the use of old photos is a matter of course, so as I said, this is a non-story being built up to look like MS was taking a swipe at Apple. And judging from the other sophomoric replies in the thread it seems to just be more gratuitous MS bashing. Frankly, I'm not an MS fan-boy, but this constant need by some in the Mac community to nitpick every little thing about MS is just beyond annoying.

OP
B

badmojo

iMe said:
I think its just funny how Google Earth has updated pictures...and Microsuck doesnt. Geezzz....can Microsuck get anything right!?!?!

Outdated Photograph!!.......LMAO

My neighborhood does not show up on the Microsoft map either and it's almost 9 years old. It shows up on Google's though.

OP
I

IChing

Don't complain about microsoft being outdated, it's not cool
I'm mean their photos
lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
dan828 said:
this constant need by some in the Mac community to nitpick every little thing about MS is just beyond annoying.

Couldn't have put it better!!!!!!!!!!

OP
F

falltime

dan828 said:
Fair enough. But the use of old photos is a matter of course, so as I said, this is a non-story being built up to look like MS was taking a swipe at Apple. And judging from the other sophomoric replies in the thread it seems to just be more gratuitous MS bashing. Frankly, I'm not an MS fan-boy, but this constant need by some in the Mac community to nitpick every little thing about MS is just beyond annoying.

Not just annoying, but bad for Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
dan828 said:
The satellite photo is from before the Apple campus was built. Seeing as they buy the map data from other companies this just means that that particular section of the map was older. Also, if you check out lower Manhattan you can see the Word Trade Center buildings. Must be some sort of conspiracy.

Google maps have tons of similar pictures (for example, the 5 year old sub-division my sister lives in appears to be an orchard from the satellite pic).

Another non-story for Mac fanatics to go crazy over. What ever happened to critical thinking?

From what I've heard, the Apple HQ is over 15 years old. That's much worse than Google and your sister (5 years) or the WTC (not quite 4 years)

I don't recall anyone saying it was a conspiracy, except as a joke. (Mac users often have a sense of humor. It keeps us sane in the face of people calling us "fanatics" and "crazy.")

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It was a JOKE. My god. I give up. Some people have no sense of humor. If it was bashing OSX or Macs I bet those same people would all say, hahahaha, That is true. IT WAS A JOKE. Chill please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
technologist said:
From what I've heard, the Apple HQ is over 15 years old. That's much worse than Google and your sister (5 years) or the WTC (not quite 4 years)

I don't recall anyone saying it was a conspiracy, except as a joke. (Mac users often have a sense of humor. It keeps us sane in the face of people calling us "fanatics" and "crazy.")

Oh well, whatever. Slashdot puts the date at about 11 years, BTW. And Maybe it started as a light hearted joke, but the subsequent posts were the typical "Micro$$$oft SUX" variety.

Anyways, after a bit of poking around I found out that the MS website has been up far longer than google's anyways (since 1998) and started out as something to showcase the amount of data that could be stored with SQL server. Link via web archive.

dtravis7 said:
If it was bashing OSX or Macs I bet those same people would all say, hahahaha, That is true. IT WAS A JOKE. Chill please.

Not really. For the record, I like Macs and OSX. I own a Mini and an iPod. Both are great.

The only problem with the MS jokes, are that they are constant, unremitting, many times untrue, and a good portion of the time just plain stupid.

OP
I

IChing

I'm glad you were able to project your thoughts

and humor, and are skillful enough to call people stupid on a non-serious post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
wow, this was wonderful seeing people defend Microsoft instead of the usual trashing it gets for being #1. A welcome relief. :)

BTW - I found this on a PC site about MS's new "vista"

Microsoft may be in trouble for naming its forthcoming operating system Vista after it transpired that the name has been registered by an American company for nearly six years.

Vista, which operates a small business internet interchange, is actually based in Microsoft's home town of Redmond. It was started in May 2000 by John Wall, the founder of Wall Data and an erstwhile investor in SCO.

"We are going to consider our options and talk to Microsoft," Wall told The Seattle Times. Vista has not yet filed suit against the software giant.

Microsoft announced the new name for its operating system on Friday and said that the first beta code would be available on 3 August.

"There is no more Longhorn; it is now officially Windows Vista," said Kevin Johnson, group vice president of Microsoft's worldwide sales, marketing and services.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.