Airport Extreme and Express

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so forgive me if I ramble. I am new to Apple, which is to say I own an iPhone, iPad and several iPod’s, but I did not own a Mac laptop or Mac computer until this week. I’ve had it with Windows and have crossed over from the dark side. Monday, I placed an order for 3 MBP’s, 2 iMac’s and the new MacAir. That being said, I have some questions on the wireless Apple devices. I’m currently using a Linksys router, but I have signal issues in some areas of my house. Most of the low signal strength is on the second floor back part of the house. My router is located on the first floor front in my office.

With all of that said, it takes me to my question. I was looking at the Airport Extreme and Express hardware. I built my home about 4 years ago and had CAT6 cable run to all the rooms. My idea was to purchase an Extreme for the downstairs and one or two Express appliances for the upstairs rooms where I have signal issues. Each Express would be connected via the CAT6 jack in each room.

Is this a good idea? In theory, I guess I would be running 3 wireless networks within my home. Not sure if I’m off base here. I’ve tried everything else I can from additional antenna; boost appliances etc.; all with no avail. The Express to me may solve my issues. In your opinion, is this a plausible solution?

Can't wait for the new hardware to arrive Tuesday!!!

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.