Airport Extreme - Wont work more than 15 ft away

Reaction score
I have an Airport Extreme that has worked fine for several months. However over the last few weeks, if I get more than 15 feet away from it with a laptop or iPad the speed drops to almost nothing.

I still have good signal just no data speed. Like I said, for months I have had no problem, including for my XBOX which is all the way down stairs and around the corner and a Wii in the same place, no issues.

My Extreme is upstairs in my office and has been the entire time, but now if I walk down the hallway and take two steps down the stairs it immediately loses data speed to almost nothing. I have tested this while running a SpeakEasy speed test. It is 15mbps until I step down two steps and then drops to about 30kbps. If I step back up a step it shoots back up to 15mbps.

I have tested this on a MacBook Pro, a MacBook and iPad (not the speakeasy on the iPad, but just general surfing speeds)

I replaced the Extreme the other day thinking that was it, but I still have the same issue.

I have both network types set up 2.4ghz and 5ghz and both behave the same way.

Also since this started my XBOX connects me to Live then out and also says I have to change some setting on my network.

I never had any of these issues until a couple weeks ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.