Best Option when I transfer data to new MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core Duo 2GHz Black Macbook
I've ordered a refurb MBP so I'm preparing all the necc to make the switch from my MB.

I know the easiest method would be migration assistant but i wonder if that would be considered a "Clean" transfer where on my new MBP everything will be organized cos well i'm thinking after 4 years, my settings and system files in my MB would be well, disorganized.

Would doing a manual transfer from the MB to the new MBP be the best way to go if I want to keep the new MBP organized?
In such a case would I be able to use my Time Machine backup, hook it up to my MBP and restore the apps/folders/files individually I want and not bother about the useless apps i've accumulated over the years?

Another reason why I thought of doing it manual was also cos my MB short name/home folder is my college name and well, now that i'm out I'd like a fresh start with the new MBP if you know what I mean? And I thought migrating everything over would mean my old home folder name comes along.

what would my best option be?
I'm thinking it'll be swell if I could maybe migrate everything over and then delete what I don't need from my MBP and be able to set up a new home folder name yet have my prev home folder data in tact.

Sorry for the many questions! just wanna be prepared for the new toy! woohoo can't wait!!
Much thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Migration Assistant. Used it to transfer from a 2009 MBP to a 2010 MBP recently. Fantastically easy. Just follow its prompts.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Migration Assistant. Used it to transfer from a 2009 MBP to a 2010 MBP recently. Fantastically easy. Just follow its prompts.

thanks, how about the part about renaming my com?

C

chas_m

In the normal setup process, you create your new account BEFORE migration assistant comes along, and can choose from which "old" account you want to put stuff into your new account.

Basically, like quin said, just use Migration Assistant.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh that changes everything!!

Looks like MA is the way to go then!

thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.