• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

LimeWire to pull its P2P client after failed court battle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I honestly didn't even know Limewire still existed...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's about time...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+ 1 Good riddance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 4GB, 1TB HDD, quad-core
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Indeed limewire is no more, just tried it then.

Well that's an end of an era...

How do I uninstall programs on the iMac?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Indeed limewire is no more, just tried it then.

Well that's an end of an era...

You mean the end of an "error". Limewire was bug-ridden and a gaping security hole. Not to mention highly policed by both the RIAA and the MPAA.

How do I uninstall programs on the iMac?

Drag it to the Trash and empty it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean the end of an "error". Limewire was bug-ridden and a gaping security hole. Not to mention highly policed by both the RIAA and the MPAA.

Drag it to the Trash and empty it.

Is that it? Excellent...

Call it what you will, but before iTunes, music was ridiculously overpriced. Even with such huge piracy issues record companies made millions if not billions.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Call it what you will, but before iTunes, music was ridiculously overpriced. Even with such huge piracy issues record companies made millions if not billions.

I find Mercedes Benzes to be ridiculously overpriced - so I wouldn't buy one - and I certainly wouldn't steal one.

Regardless of how you justify theft in your own mind, our Community Guidelines don't allow discussion of illegal activity, including piracy. So let this be the last mention of it. Thanks for understanding.

Reaction score
I only used LimeWire once and got a virus. That was back when I used Windoze.

I like iTunes. My friends don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
How can you be "Audio.Trench" and not know that!;)

- Nick

I use a more.. Reliable way to download things. Torrents are a great way to get legitimate stuff, really quickly.. And safetly.. Well, a lot safer than limewire, IMO.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I can and will say is, as a computer tech, especially back in the day Limewire was really popular, almost every system I had to fight for hours to clean up Virus's and Malware had Limewire installed on it with a Shared and Incomplete folder there full of junk and very often the Antivirus program I was using (Antivir) found many infected files in the Limewire folders! I warned all of them where their issues were coming from and suggested they remove Limewire from their systems unless they loved to pay me $$$ every other week! :D

Most did but a few did not and kept having issues. So Good Riddance is probably a good word to describe my feelings for LAMEWire but I might not get as many messed up machines to fix now! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
The only sad part about this to me is old memories using my cousin's computer since his was the only one I had access to back then that actually had a CD burner. When Napster stopped being free, I felt this same way. Already on to bigger and better things though and haven't used Limewire for quite some time now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I find Mercedes Benzes to be ridiculously overpriced - so I wouldn't buy one - and I certainly wouldn't steal one.
Gold!

Question:
If Limewire has been axed, does this mean that Frostwire got the flick too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gold!

Question:
If Limewire has been axed, does this mean that Frostwire got the flick too?

That comment is far from gold, music is the one thing everyone has to enjoy but thats pretty hard when CD's used to be $30+.

I only stopped using limewire because I could get perfect quality songs on iTunes for just over a buck.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well it might not be gold to you, but USA law where Mac Forums is located says Piracy of music is against the law and because of that, we do not allow any discussion of piracy here on the forums whether music, Videos or Software.

Just a heads up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
That comment is far from gold, music is the one thing everyone has to enjoy but thats pretty hard when CD's used to be $30+.

I only stopped using limewire because I could get perfect quality songs on iTunes for just over a buck.

Back when CD's were $30, there were no cheap CDs other than bargain bins full of music that just about no one would want to listen too.
Now, on the other hand, after a few weeks in the charts, CDs drop dramatically in price, and as you mention, there is now iTunes where you can purchase the songs you want to listen to, rather than having to buy a whole album if that is not what you want.

Where possible, I try to purchase the music I want.
Unfortunately, a lot of the music I want isn't available in iTunes or music shops for that matter, as it is generally either rare studio or live recordings, or live footage.
I am also a big fan of purchasing CDs direct from the musicians when possible, or downloading from their official websites when they make it available for download.

I am very thankful for youtube, as there is a lot of stuff on there to listen to, and share on facebook, etc.
Even though people like Sony may get cranky at this, it is free advertising, and definitely generates album sales.
I have bought albums due to people sharing music on these social networks, as well as friends of mine buying albums from links and videos that I have shared.
It can be seen as a double edge sword, but I feel that there is a lot of good that comes out of it as I mentioned above.

As a musician, and a music lover, I support the industry where possible, and think everyone should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me just clear things up...

I'm not trying to get into an argument because well how can I? it's illegal, you win.

I'm just trying to point out how the digital age is now starting to make it a level playing field. More fairer prices for everybody.

My apologies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Let me just clear things up...

I'm not trying to get into an argument because well how can I? it's illegal, you win.

I'm just trying to point out how the digital age is now starting to make it a level playing field. More fairer prices for everybody.

My apologies.

I don't even think you're right. Track for track, CDs (outside of rare instances, and then usually only for a short period of time), were barely more expensive than the the iTunes tracks.

You quote $30, but that is not really how much most CDs cost. Let's use $15 or $20 as a more average number with an average of 12 tracks per CD. So what, you're paying maybe $1.50 or so per track?

Well iTunes is 99 cents to $1.49 so it's really not a huge difference. What the digitial age did is bring about the ability to buy single tracks of any music without needing to buy the rest. It wasn't really the cost cutter you're implying. There is no such thing as "fair" pricing. Pricing will be whatever the market can bare, that's capitalism and that's the fair price. If people thought it was too expensive back then, they wouldn't have bought CDs and the companies would have had to lower prices. They obviously didn't feel that pressure because people bought them. Maybe you couldn't afford it, but that was not the issue.

As for your supposed "right" to music, that's garbage. You do not have a right to anything other than to live. If you can't afford the music, it doesn't give you the right to steal someone else's work. There's tons of music in the public domain, or the radio, or if it's so important to you in order to live, learn how to sing or play an instrument.

Don't try to defend your theft, it just makes you come off as more unethical than you already are. If you want to steal music, that's your choice, but don't try to make it sound like you were doing the right thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.