Hosting on Filezilla

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am new to the Mac scene having jumped over from years of PC usage.

I have recently ventured in to the world of web design and have been using a free .tk domain and hosting via DropBox over the past few months. Given the success of the site i have recently purchased a .co.uk address and also purchased webhosting via 123reg.co.uk

I am looking to publish my iWeb site via an FTP server and have downloaded Filezilla based on reading posts on this site. I appear able to connect to the server on Filezilla and have changed my settings on iWeb which tells me is successful.

My problem is when i type in my web address as purchased it comes up page not found??

Any help or points in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and hope i have made sense.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do you have an index file? If not, you'll need to make sure to have one. What is the directory structure right now in your hosted account?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply

I have an index.html file which is currently within my Dropbox folder and i often used this when modifying my site via DotTK.

Using the Filezilla program i have copied that file from the Dropbox folder under Local Site to the public_html folder under Remote Site.

Within 123reg.co.uk i have used the control panel to point my domain at the host - is there any obvious mistakes you can see from what i am doing? and will it take time for this to become available on the web or should it be there immediately given i only made these changes etc this evening?

Thanks again

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's simple. The links to your images aren't working because they are pointing to non-existent files. Change where your images point to and you should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
like vansmith says, check that your images are indeed stored under /Home_files/ on the remote server, if not then change it to /images/ or wherever they are located

- Simon

OP
C
Reaction score
That's simple. The links to your images aren't working because they are pointing to non-existent files. Change where your images point to and you should be fine.

like vansmith says, check that your images are indeed stored under /Home_files/ on the remote server, if not then change it to /images/ or wherever they are located

- Simon

You two are absolute legends - thank you so much for your time and patience, it is much appreciated

Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
One final query, thought i had this sussed this but another problem has arisen:

As i mentioned in my first post i had been publishing my website to the local folder and using DropBox alongwith DotTK to publish on the web.

I have now changed this to publish to FTP and am using Filezilla - my earlier query got my site up and running on my .co.uk address but i have since made amendments to the site on iWeb, however, this is not being applied to the live site.

I have tried copying over the website folder from Dropbox route on Filezilla as this was successful last night but the site remains unchanged despite iWeb having stored and published the changes - where will i find these new updated files to amend my live site via Filezilla?

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure that iWeb is publishing your content to the right directory or domain? Check your settings in iWeb.

OP
C
Reaction score
Would anyone know if there is a time delay between publishing a site through iWeb and copying files over in Filezilla and then pointing domain at hosting before these are applied on live site? or should any change take effect immediately?

Thanks again for your time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
There might be a slight delay but hardly anything, also your browser when opening your website might just be opening the copy of it in cache, open the website and then refresh it (cmd+r)

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem at all

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.