New Mac User

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Hey guys, found your site via Google for some questions I had relating to Mac, and I recently decided to make the switch. I should be picking up my Macbook Pro 13 on Tuesday hopefully. I have been using PC's ever since I can remember, back to my old IBM desktop playing the old Delta Force games.

I had a couple of questions tho before I get it.

It is coming from a pawn store (yes, poor college student here) and he said it only comes with the charger and laptop. How hard is it to get restore discs for it so I can restore it. I also noticed it has the Adobe Suite on it (PS, Illy, Fireworks, etc) if I restore the computer will I lose that software?

I am also looking for a good case for it, and have found two very nice ones, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of the brands. One is the Booq Vyper XS3, the other is the SLAPPA HardBody PRO "Carbon Elektra"

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey guys, found your site via Google for some questions I had relating to Mac, and I recently decided to make the switch. I should be picking up my Macbook Pro 13 on Tuesday hopefully. I have been using PC's ever since I can remember, back to my old IBM desktop playing the old Delta Force games.

I had a couple of questions tho before I get it.

It is coming from a pawn store (yes, poor college student here) and he said it only comes with the charger and laptop. How hard is it to get restore discs for it so I can restore it.

Pretty easy - just call Apple parts and get the replacements. But you need not reinstall the OS. UNIX-based OSes rarely need to be reinstalled, this is a bad habit we pick up from Windows.

I also noticed it has the Adobe Suite on it (PS, Illy, Fireworks, etc) if I restore the computer will I lose that software?

Absolutely. And since you don't have the original media, chances are it's been installed somewhere else, so don't be surprised if you have trouble with it.

I am also looking for a good case for it, and have found two very nice ones, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of the brands. One is the Booq Vyper XS3, the other is the SLAPPA HardBody PRO "Carbon Elektra"

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help

I like Brenthaven's cases personally. Haven't had a whole lot of experience with the ones you mention here.

OP
s2odin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty easy - just call Apple parts and get the replacements. But you need not reinstall the OS. UNIX-based OSes rarely need to be reinstalled, this is a bad habit we pick up from Windows.

Absolutely. And since you don't have the original media, chances are it's been installed somewhere else, so don't be surprised if you have trouble with it.
And I take it if I want to upgrade the stock 160GB HD I would need the OS discs as well as the Adobe Suite discs to put it on the new HD, correct?

And that makes sense, wasn't sure if it was like bloatware PC's have installed on them where the OS comes with it already on it.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
And I take it if I want to upgrade the stock 160GB HD I would need the OS discs as well as the Adobe Suite discs to put it on the new HD, correct?

And that makes sense, wasn't sure if it was like bloatware PC's have installed on them where the OS comes with it already on it.

Thanks

Nope. You just need to use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to backup the old drive to the new, using a USB to SATA adapter.

OP
s2odin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome, thanks for the information. Just ordered a copy of SuperDuper and a new 500GB Seagate Momentus HD. Can't wait I have everything in my hands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Nope. You just need to use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to backup the old drive to the new, using a USB to SATA adapter.

Macs do not come installed with any bloatware. Just very useful software like ilife. WHich you can easily delete if you don't want them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.