Oh Lordy be... Im on the short bus again..

Reaction score
Ok, I bought an Iphone 3gs. greatright? well I dont have enough harddrive space to install Itunes10.1 , it wants almost 7 gigs, I then am told to use Disk inventory app? yeah, it shows me all the stuff nice, ANd????So I buy a WD external hard drive 500 GB. I finaly figure out to open Time machine. I told it to use the usb drive. So for hours it does its thing. I thought I would now have enough space. No. I scour the interwebs. I find Xslimmer. I slim baby! Still not enough hard drive space. I have the 2006 Mac Mini, running Snow Lepord.
I delete about 1000 jpgs, some docs and 4 full length movies. Still no go poncho... holy hard drive Batman!
what can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz, Core Duo, 1gig ram, 100Gig
Well, for one thing, making a backup using Time Machine doesn't clear up space on your hard drive. What you should do is to put a lot of stuff onto that hard drive and delete it from your computer. That mean, just move it there. Click and drag. Don't delete things you want to keep. Pictures don't really take up that much space; especially if they're small and compressed pictures. Do you have lots of music on there already? Do you have movies on it? Movie files take up the most space, I believe. Find out how big your hard drive is and how much space you have free. Also, don't forget to delete and clean out your trash folder. Unless you empty your trash folder, that space won't be freed up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And please do not post more than once.

C

chas_m

Ok, I bought an Iphone 3gs. greatright? well I dont have enough harddrive space to install Itunes10.1

Congratulations on your recent trip into the future. Here in the year 2010, iTunes is only at version 10.0.1, and takes up 150MB.

, it wants almost 7 gigs, I then am told to use Disk inventory app?

No, that is not what happened. Your *music library* could be seven GBs, that would make sense. But that doesn't make any difference to whether you can upgrade iTunes. Could you please try to be more clear (and limit yourself to one bit of punctuation per sentence)?

yeah, it shows me all the stuff nice, ANd????

So you use software you don't have any idea what it does, and can't be bothered to read instructions, help files, etc.

Just so I know who I'm dealing with here.

Disk Inventory shows you what is taking up space on your hard drive. From your rambling and mostly-incoherent post, I'm sort of sensing (because you're not really giving us anything concrete or rational to go on) that perhaps your hard drive is full.

Thus, Disk Inventory is meant to be used as a tool for tracking down unneeded material and deleting or moving it. Did you do that? Who knows, you certainly couldn't be bothered to actually say ...

So I buy a WD external hard drive 500 GB. I finaly figure out to open Time machine. I told it to use the usb drive. So for hours it does its thing. I thought I would now have enough space. No.

Why would you think that making a backup of your stuff would free up space?

Oh, yeah, directions, help files, use stuff you don't know what it does. Right.

[I'm not even going to comment on your apparent stealing of software]

I delete about 1000 jpgs, some docs and 4 full length movies. Still no go poncho... holy hard drive Batman!
what can I do?

Why don't we start with you telling us what exactly it is you WANT to do? You've left all any sort of USEFUL information about your machine, os version, free space, what you're deleting and why you're deleting it and so forth.

At this point I rather doubt you've deleted anything at all, as you seem the sort of person who thinks dragging things to the trash (without emptying it) is all that's required.

My suggestion (apart from writing up a much more coherent and concise post that includes salient information) is for you to check out Mac 101 and your program's help files so that you have some better understanding of what you're actually doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.