Speck Snap-On Case

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro - 2.4GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 250GB Hard Drive
Anyone have this on their MBP? I'm thinking of getting this for extra protection and just looking for some opinions. Right now my MBP travels in a Booq Vyper XS2 and wasn't sure if the Speck case would be overkill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
Well I got one for my white MacBook back in 06 and after leaving it on for months on end, I noticed that tiny scratches and holes had appeared on it where grit had been trapped under the case. Personally I wouldn't bother, since I took the Speck case off I have been just as careful and my laptop has come to no harm yet!

However, it might have a better design now, and affect the Alu unibody differently

Just thought I'd point out my experiences, good luck either way!

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
As pointed out by 613, dust and dirt particles gets in between the case and the computers and cause fine scratches if not removed and cleaned regularly.
I personally was going to get it, but I have kept my Macs in immaculate condition, with not even the most minor of scratches, and decided against it as I don't want to risk it on the MBP aluminium body. I think with the white macbooks, it would be less significant.
However, many people use them and swear by them, and if care were taken to clean at regular intervals, I am sure that they would be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have it on my MBP - and it works fine. As mentioned you have to take it off - once a month is the interval I use - and clean the case and Mac. I travel a lot and there are some scratches and dings on my case. Those would be on my Mac if I didn't have the Speck case installed.

If you are a no maintenance kind of person, you could also try a sticky skin. After my wife's macbook air got pretty beat up - I bought a Gelaskin for it. Works pretty well and you don't have to worry about cleaning it once a month. It isn't as protective as the Speck but it should protect you from scratches and dings.
GelaSkins | iPad Skins, iPhone Skins, iPod Skins, Laptop Skins, Gaming Skins, Custom Skins, Giclee Prints and more...

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro - 2.4GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 250GB Hard Drive
Thanks everyone for their opinions. Think I might just stick with the Vyper for now. I've just always bought protective cases/covers for all my electronics - guess that is why they last me a long time.

My friends are amazed how my $600 5 year old Dell 600M is still alive and working when they have been through a few laptops each in that time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.