Email on the iPhone 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
Yes, it's Mr. Newbie again. I would like to receive emails on my iPhone 4 but I don't want a deluge of them every time I turn it on (I get a LOT on my RoadRunner [RR] account).

If I delete a RR email on my laptop, it deletes it from the RR server. So if I "clean out" the emails I don't want, THEN turn the iPhone 4 on, would those same emails be on there and have to be deleted again?

Sorry I'm not being very articulate in expressing my problem. I'm trying to figure out how to "balance" emails between the RR on my laptop and the iPhone 4. I really want to use the iPhone 4 as a cell phone and a periodic Internet browser when my laptop's not available.

Sorry to bother you guys but you are the knowledgeable ones here. Thanks very much in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you delete the e-mails on your desktop and it removes them from the server then they won't appear on the iPhone. Question is, if you do that why bother having e-mail on the iphone at all? Just read them on the desktop.

I have 3 e-mails accts on my iPhone. 2 of them (MobileMe and GMail) are IMAP but GMail on the desktop (and laptop) acts as POP so I see the e-mails in both places. The third acct (from my domain server) is purely POP and the e-mails will download to all devices, but the only device that will delete e-mails from the server is the desktop. Upside is that for both GMail and my domain once the phone has downloaded the headers it won't download them again (ie see them as new e-mails) even though the messages remain on the servers. MM being pure IMAP will act the same on any device I have its email going to, they all mirror each other. This is handy as I travel a lot and I can see all my e-mail on my phone and laptop but nothing gets deleted from my Gmail or domain accts permanently (even if I delete it on my phone or laptop) until I get home and download it on the desktop.

In the end you learn to live with the random emails going to your phone and just delete them as you go. My phone is pretty much on 24/7 so e-mail just comes in as the phone checks the servers. It's rarely a "turn it on" kind of thing since the phone never really goes off unless you do a hard shutdown.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Baggss, did you mean to say your gmail and mobileME are IMAP? SMTP is a sending email protocol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Baggss, did you mean to say your gmail and mobileME are IMAP? SMTP is a sending email protocol.

Yeah. I have NO idea why I put SMTP in there.....:Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.