• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is there a way to harness the power of...

Reaction score
Is there any way to connect a bunch of different CPU's together, and harness all their processor/RAM/HD resources together into one big super computer? FOr example...Buying 10 mac mini's stacking them up, and adding together all their power into one super computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
hahaha

i doubt it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
There are programs that support multinode functions (rendering, calculation, etc).... It they can be extremely powerful over gigabit ethernet.... But I don't know of any way to spread the load of the entire OS across muliple nodes.

OP
S
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be spread evenly...I know about the rendering/calculation multinode stuff from video editing experience...but what I would liek to do it stack up a few mini's and when the ram on the first runs out it goes to the 2nd, when the 2nd runs out it goes to the 3rd, and the same for cpu power...when all the power is used on the first...it goes to the 2nd...basically as much as is needed...also...something that could work for [email protected]e it can harness all the CPU's and be one powerful folding machine...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
im so going to do this

can i do it with my ibook and my daddys g5?

OP
S
Reaction score
But isn't that XGrid only for single computing tasks, where you use a bunch of computers to crunch, as opposed to every day computer usage and always using the resources of a bunch of computers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i would have thought so.

also wouldnt supprise me if the host machine needs 10.4 server either i mean how many home users would really use that feature?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm also pretty sure that Xgrid is task specific, i.e. you can tell final cut pro 5 to render a movie on all connected machines, or run a specific simulation on multiple machines, but that's it.

You can't run iTunes, Unreal Tournament 2004, Halo and Garageband simultaneously on one account just because you have 6 mac minis hooked up together.

I think the problem is that the network connection is too slow for most tasks: Even at Gigabit ethernet speeds, you're still losing time transferring information from one proc to another and back again over ethernet, making the whole idea moot.

It's different when you send over large chunks of information for long, hard processing a la Final Cut or Folding@home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.