How to transfer my document from an obsolete Apple word processor?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently bought an old Apple Newton eMate 300...these were word processors and day planners in notebook format that came out in the late 90s. I bought it so I could do word processing on it rather than use my iBook. I'm writing my novel on my new eMate 300 word processor but I'd really like to back up my work, especially considering that this old word processor is probably on its last leg. I'm not sure what I need to do to transfer it to another computer. It has an IR port (my iBook does not) and two other cable ports on the side. Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to be able to save a copy of my work on my iBook or on a zip drive or something...like what cables I'd need to buy or any other way to do it? (Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about computers)

Here is a pic of my Mac iBook's ports:

2s97voy.jpg

Here are all the ports on the side of my vintage Apple eMate:

Cable Port #1
2ziqb06.jpg

Cable Port #2 (looks like a USB drive but isn't)
16c2q38.jpg

IR Port
2iqesdw.jpg

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Harry. Those are extremely helpful links.

I'm wondering, would I absolutely need to download anything or would I be able to transfer documents with just a serial cable + USB adapter without downloading anything?

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.