IR Remote - Quick Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Hi,

Just bought a new macbook laptop and was trying to figure out if the Apple IR Infared remote works with this product. I could not find anything that states it has an IR receiver.

When I went into system preferences I couldn't see anything relating to it either.

Kind of sucks if the laptop can't use a remote, because that is probably the main time you would want to use a remote.

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't see anything in the current specs on the Apple site about it supporting the remote.

I faced this situation recently when I wanted to add a remote to my Mac Pro which also does not have the IR sensor. I settled on a remote which includes a USB driven dongle in addition to the remote. The USB dongle is also an IR sensor. I believe Griffin makes a few of these but the one I am trying is I believe Amazon.com: Keyspan Presentation Remote Pro: Electronics.I left it at work today but I can let you know how it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
System Preferences > Security > General ...it's towards the bottom.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Definitely nothing under system preferences > Security (General)

I find it pretty astonishing that a mac laptop does not have remote control function yet the desktop does!!

I mean whether you use your laptop for work, home or entertainment you are more likely to want a remote then for a desktop!

Work: Presentations
Home, Travel & Entertainment: DVD's, Movies, Music etc etc..

So far I'm very pleased with what my macbook offers in the way of features and usability but bit surprised about IR Remote!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some Mac laptops can pair with the Apple remote with no problems. I just tried it with the Apple remote and my 2008 MacBook Pro.

Keyspan has several remotes which include the necessary USB dongle. In some ways I prefer the one I linked to earlier. While traveling the USB dongle slips inside the rest of the remote.

The top also includes a small trackball for those times when you need to control a mouse cursor. I don't find its response quite as smooth as a mouse but it'll do in a pinch.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply.
I will have another look at the amazon product and think about it!
It appears that they have stopped supporting IR in the macbooks but I think the macbook Pros still have it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might want to go to the Keyspan site and have a look around. If I remember correctly there was one which is geared specifically toward controlling Front Row and iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.