Arrange photos in iPhoto

Reaction score
Why is it if I import photos into iPhoto and rearrange them when I export them it renumbers them, which is fine by me? But, if I then reimport them to iPhoto they will not stay in the order that I rearranged them in, even when they were renumbered when I exported them. They go back to the order that they were originally imported in, and the numbers are out or order. I would like to store them on a disk and reimport them when I would like to look at them as a slide show, but they are all out of order. Where can I renumber the photos so that they will stay in the order that I have placed them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
have you discovered the View, Sort by, option in iPhoto?

C

chas_m

Let's step back for a minute and think about something that I think may be key to what's confusing you.

iPhoto, like any other photo-management program, keeps its *own* database of information about your pictures. For example, when you rename a photo in iPhoto, the actual photo file itself is NOT renamed. You've just changed the name iPhoto *displays* the photo as being -- the actual file has not really been touched.

So renaming files in iPhoto is only useful *in iPhoto* and has no bearing on what the files will be called when you export them.

I hope that helps answer your question.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

So renaming files in iPhoto is only useful *in iPhoto* and has no bearing on what the files will be called when you export them....

Just to clarify on that one, you can export them and select "Title" in the drop down box when you export and they'll be exported using the title you have given them in iPhoto.

Am pretty sure the initial order that photos will be shown in iPhoto/Aperture/Lightroom/etc. upon import is based upon the timestamp. Changing the name/title of the pics, exporting them, deleting the original from iPhoto and re-importing does not affect this.

You can try it, but I don't think it will work... changing the timestamp info that iPhoto displays and exporting them. But, I believe you'll find that upon re-import, they will have their original timestamp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.