New Microphone.

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I ordered a new microphone and it came today.

It has a line-in jack and a clip on thing and then just the mic on the end.
I have a Macbook Pro 15".

I have selected Line-in on Input, and spoke into the mic but it's reading nothing. Same with Garageband, and whatever else.

Please help.
-DreadAlert-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
What kind of mic is it? USB? Condenser? etc..

If it's a condenser, it most likely will need a source of power (if it isn't self-contained). You'll need a pre-amp, or an interface that has Phantom Power to give that thing juice.

If it's USB, it should have came with some sort of driver/software. Most are typically plug'n'play, however.

We need more info to help ya out more! :)

OP
D
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of mic it is.. it just plugs into the microphone input on my laptop.

Well I went to the apple store today and this guy plugged his iPhone into the mic input and played a song and it was picked up.

I went out today and got a headset with a mic just to make sure it wasn't the mic that was broken because it was a really cheap crappy thing but still no results. The headset is a microphone-in port and headphone port input.

Why does this work when I plug it into my old windows laptop but not my mic? Which is very very old may i add.

Reaction score
Mac microphone inputs are line input, which are at a higher level than normal mic inputs.
You need to get a pre-amplifier for the mic or, better yet, get a USB mic.
The guy with the iphone plugged in - line level output, so it worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.