Butter Poached Lobster

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
My roommate is a chef and the assistant manager at slightly fancy restaurant/conference center. He called me up last night and asked if I'd take some photos of a dish he made.

Butter poached lobster on a bed of spring onion polenta with peas and carrots

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
*constructive criticism*

First one is fantastic. Made that dish look super yummy. Though I'd not use that particular bowl for it. He should have used a more flat dish, with color IMO. I also don't care much for the amount of veggies used. For one thing, they should be used a lot more sparingly, leaving the entree standing mostly on its own without distraction. Secondly, they should be arranged differently. I'd say, either all to one side or just a different selection of veggies which would be easy to assemble "around" the lobster for a nicer presentation. The way the veggies are now, is too messy and clashes with the neatness of what is around it.

Lighting is spot on though.

Second photo is shot at too low an angle for that bowl. The tail is cut off and it's distracting. Highlights are also blown, which I guess isn't such a big deal if you have the RAW to edit, but I'd also remove that glass of ice water because it's also a big distraction. If a flat plate was used, that low angle wouldn't be an issue. I'd also mess around with the positioning of the candle and wrapped utensils. Perhaps even remove one of the items only because of how tight that shot is.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Yummy. Plain and simple. Although the veggies could be a little neater around the lobster. Just my thoughts. :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think the first shot looks better than the close up for me. For some reason the 2nd shot seems almost too bright and the detail on the lobster is mixing in with the plate. >_<"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree, the 1st shot is by far the best.

One question, did you get to eat that yummy looking food VI or just photograph it? :D

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Nope, but I did get several left over lobster tails which are going to be used for making some sort of fish soup on Monday. The roommate is cooking. I'll post photos of that.

Reaction score
Hi, first one is right down angle, second one is right cropping... try second one again, but a little high camera angle.. Second one has best fill light on vegtables on LH Side, but has lost the texture in the lobster on top. try using a narrower spot light, GOBO, or shade . (alternatly on the angle put a small object under the raer edge of the plate, 2-3 coins.) regards, Sandy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Okay Village Idiot, unless you are prepared to share, PLEASE no more photos of that magnificent fare!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Okay Village Idiot, unless you are prepared to share, PLEASE no more photos of that magnificent fare!

I agree!!! I propose a ban on all photos of food here on Mac-Forums!!!;);)

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I agree!!! I propose a ban on all photos of food here on Mac-Forums!!!;);)

- Nick

Oh you guys didn't get your lobster tails in the mail? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.