Adding another Router to my Network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz Macbook Alum.
Hello, I just recently moved into the room in my house farthest from our router. As of now I am getting very weak signal and dropping the network constantly on my Macbook. I am looking to add another source of internet on my side of the house so I can run my Xbox/Macbook and not have any hiccups.

My current setup is: Comcast cable Modem -> Netgear Wireless Router. (in our office)

I have the ability to run an ethernet cord from the office (where the router and modem is located) to my new room, but I am unsure how I should go about splitting the connection. Can I plug the ethernet cord into my current router and run it to my room and plug another router into that? Or do I need to buy some type of splitter that splits the connection at the modem and then plug both routers into that splitter? Also I wouldn't mind just being able to run the ethernet to my room and splitting that connection and running one to my Xbox and the other to my Macbook.

So my question is basically what hardware do I need to add another router to my Network?

Thank you in advance, Dylan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It works in several ways. Please go to the Support page and search "airport express". Tons of info on Apple's website. I can do the research for you, but it would be a lot faster for you to do it because more and more questions can come up and each one will require another post from you, more research from one of us, and more posts back to you.

Not trying to be rude. Trying to help you get faster results. :)

OP
JMDylan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz Macbook Alum.
After further research it seems that I can plug my modem into a switch (like this one) And then plug two different routers into this switch (one in my room/one in my office). Does anyone see anything wrong with this? Seems like it will work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have the ability to run an ethernet cord from the office (where the router and modem is located) to my new room, but I am unsure how I should go about splitting the connection.

If you're willing to run an ethernet cable all the way to your room...then all you need is a $10-$15 dollar ethernet switch or hub and you're good to go. Then an ethernet cable to each device in your room.

This is something folks have been doing for 10-15 years & more...in other words..."Old-School" technology...cheap & easy!;)

- Nick

OP
JMDylan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz Macbook Alum.
Thank you, I have never messed with switches before (one router used to always be good enough). I think I will run an ethernet cord from my router to my room, then plug that ethernet cord into the switch, then connect all of my devices to that switch. Just like you said.

Thank you everyone for the help.

If you're willing to run an ethernet cable all the way to your room...then all you need is a $10-$15 dollar ethernet switch or hub and you're good to go. Then an ethernet cable to each device in your room.

This is something folks have been doing for 10-15 years & more...in other words..."Old-School" technology...cheap & easy!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, I have never messed with switches before (one router used to always be good enough). I think I will run an ethernet cord from my router to my room, then plug that ethernet cord into the switch, then connect all of my devices to that switch. Just like you said.

Thank you everyone for the help.

Yes that's the way you do it...it's called a "Daisy Chain" or "Daisy Chaining".

Network topology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Nick

OP
JMDylan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz Macbook Alum.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Glad you found a solution to fit your needs/budget. Sorry, I thought you wanted to keep it wireless Since you mentioned a MacBook. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you found a solution to fit your needs/budget. Sorry, I thought you wanted to keep it wireless Since you mentioned a MacBook. :)

I was a little unsure at first as well...since stringing or routing an ethernet cable a long way in a house can be a real pain...and most folks now want to keep everything wireless.

But "wired" can be straight forward & simple!:) I all too often have to go to my basement to unplug my wireless router when it gets "confused"!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.