Setting up home network with iMac and Western Digital Media Player

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a wireless network at home I work off -

I work on an iMac - recently I got the Western Digital Media Player....how do I set this up with a home network or something? So I can stream movies from my mac to the Media Player onto the TV?

At the moment the Media Player is connected to the mains and the TV - with an ethernet cable I have also attached it to the router

I can't seem to figure out how to make the Media Player talk to the Mac or if on my Mac I have to set something up

Any ideas? I've looked in the documents but it doesn't help :(

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Which WDTV do you have? Is it the Live?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok.
Did you create an account on your Mac for the WDTV to use for logon? Share out the folders where your media is stored? Enable share files and folders using SMB?

Make sure you clear the network logon info in your WDTV and choose not to save password (for the first time) so it will prompt you to enter the username/password for your Mac.

That should get you connected.
If not, or if you need more specific help, I would suggest looking at the WDTV forums.
Not that we can't help with the Mac end of things, but it may be a WDTV issue too.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Kev,

No I didn't make an account on my imac, I'm not sure how to do that?

I mean I know how to do it, should I put all my videos in one folder and make that speicifc one the shared one or something? And call it TV LIVE?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Kev,

I mean I know how to do it, should I put all my videos in one folder and make that speicifc one the shared one or something? And call it TV LIVE?

Yes, something along those lines. The WDTV needs a folder to access, or to be pointed at, otherwise it will just try reading everything on the Mac, which will make no sense to it.

Have a scout around this forum to see if there is more specific help:

WDTV Forum - WDTV Media Player - Index

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks Kev,

The WDTV Live can access network resources a number of different ways.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to create an SMB (Samba) file share for your video files that you want to display.

This tutorial explains how to set up such a share:

File sharing in Leopard | Utilities - Page 1 | Macworld

The tutorial recommends using AFP, but for this purpose, you're going to want to choose "Samba" or "SMB".

Once that's up and running, you should be able to browse out to it on the WDTV by choosing "Video" and then selecting the "Network Share" option. It should then show a list of all the video files in that share.

I have a WDTV Live and have been using it for a number of months with a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. It works great for streaming video over my network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There you go, someone with a Live - excellent.
I have a WDTV2, I didn't need the live.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.