HELP on TIME CAPSULE WIRELESS AP

Reaction score
Hello, i hope you can help me on this cause i`m tired of looking in the web and didn`t came across any valid answer for my question,..... this week i`ve purchased a 1TB Time Capsule, the main reasons i bought it here because i need to backup my IMAC 27” disk, but my key reason is that a thought i will be able to use it as a wireless Access Point (AP), but i`ve tryed many configs and nothing so far....

The ideia is this: i have a DSL MODEM/ROUTER from thompson that provides TV/HDTV/NET/PHONE services from a company we have here in Portugal called “MEO”, this router is located about 30 meters from the place where i usually use my IMAC and my POWERBOOK G4 causing the Wi-FI signal to be weak, what i wanted to do is to locate the TIME CAPSULE WIRELESSLY on the center of my house so i can have good wi-fi signal in all rooms of my house, but i need to do that without having to connect an ethernet cable to the TC, meaning the Thompson will connect wireless to the Time Capsule and time capsule will expand the wi-fi signal to the rest of the house.

Is this possible? And can you help me on that? Thanks a lot

Jorge Fernandes (Mafra, Portugal)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Sorry - but the WDS extender ability is only for other Apple products. What you could do is turn off the DSL wifi - connect the TC nearby with a wire - then go get an Airport Express to put in the middle of your house (or vice versa) - thus giving you the ability to extend. I know it isn't what most people want to here.

There are other wifi extenders that could use powerline - I don't know how it works overseas - but basically you plug in one side - the signal goes through your powerline, then is transmitted from a base station plugged in on the other side.

Here is an example in the US (no longer made)
Amazon.com: Netgear WGXB102NA Wireless G Router Wall Pg: Electronics

Of course you could get an ethernet to ethernet - then plug in the TC on the other side.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.