pc-ibook network question

N

NOKI

Hey all...I just got a G4 ibook with an Airport Extreme card. I want to set up a network like this...

CABLE DSL---D-LINK WIRELESS ROUTER---WIN XP PC---IBOOK

are their any threads / tutorials I should look at to help me on this?

I want to be able to wirelessly surf the net and have access to itunes and the hard drive on my pc...

Thanks, NOKI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
The best way to do it to set it up so the modem is connected to the router, and the ibook and pc are both connected to the router. Not in a chain, in case that's how you were thinking of doing it.

Basically plug in your modem and connect it to your router. Your router will have a web based control panel. Once you turn it on it should come up as an available network on your iBook, so select it (using internet connect) and then you'll be able to access the router's control panel through safari. Configure the router, making sure it knows to use the modem. Probably a good idea to set up encryption if you're able - it'll probably require you read through the router's manual a bit though.

Once that's done you'll be able to surf the net, and your iBook's itunes music library should automatically appear in your PC's itunes (if you have itunes music sharing turned on on both computers, and it's being allowed through your iBook's firewall - I think it does that automatically). To access the PC's harddrive, make sure filesharing is turned on on the PC then just open any finder window and click the 'network' icon in the sidebar. After a while you'll either see an icon corresponding to your PC, or a folder called something like "MS_HOME" or "WORKGROUP" in which you'll find a link to your PC.

Edit: found this: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20584

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.