ping increase all of a sudden

Reaction score
Hey guys i've started to encounter problems with my internet. I always had a low ping it ranged from 8-12 decent at least i think. Then one day i noticed my router d-link dir-655 started to not have signal i thought what the heck so i thought it was the router. Unplugged it for a while didn't work then factory reset it still nothing. Then i tested my internet speed by testing router and modem at separate times and i always had a high ping of 32. When im at speedtest.net the little measure meter slightly slows down and pauses which i think is the ping affecting my speed. I noticed the lag while i play xbox.
Just wanted to know what i need to do to try and fix it because before i had no problem and besides xbox my macs internet is sluggish at times along with everything else i use. If it helps i have roadrunner and use to get 16-20mb/s and 0.45mb/s upload speed now its went down to 14 but again its sluggish and sometimes stops working.
Any help would be appreciated i want to see if i can try and fix it myself before i call time warner cable-im saving this as a last resort

OP
R
Reaction score
I called time warner cable and they are coming next friday but i have a question
I asked the guy does ping have an effect on my connection speed and the lag i receive and he told me all ping does is how fast it can send and receive information that it has nothing to do with speed or my connection. I feel like thats a lie since i read online the lower the ping the better it causes you to have better connection. Just let me know if im right or wrong because the dude sounded like a prick man. When i connected my computer to the modem directly my ping lowers down to a 9 but my speed starts at 26 then like slows down to 13-16 which is not bad but most of the time i get 16-20. Then the meters stays going sluggishly down before it would just be a consistent drop instead of slow. Just if anyone can answer the ping question let me know because i want to try and defend myself against the technician coming this friday in case if he tries to pull a fast one on me and say oh see your connection and ping is good whats the problem then? hope someone at least answers the ping question thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.