• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

BlackBerry PlayBook

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This didn't really fit as Apple hardware or an Apple rumor or report so I'll post it here. I also post this at the risk of furthering what may be perceived as my continued anti-Apple crusade (which is not true).

RIM Unveils PlayBook Tablet, Runs QNX, Unicorns Smile

I have to say that this device looks slick. I'm no tablet guy by any means but I have to say that if this device was anything like I imagine it to be after seeing/reading this, I'd be all over it if I wanted a tablet.

To quote Thom from OSNews:
This thing... This thing's got some impressive hardware specifications. It has the already mentioned 1Ghz dual-core ARM processor, but also 1GB of RAM, twocameras (back and front) capable of 1080p video recording, and a 7" 1024×600 multitouch display. It's got a whole boatload of connection options as well, of course: HDMI, USB, WiFi, BlueTooth, and 3G and 4G models will arrive later on as well.
It's dual-core and has four times as much RAM as an iPad. It has a camera (two of them in fact) which people seem to keep wanting from an iPad. It does have a smaller screen which is a detriment but can do HD. It doesn't have the same app ecosystem which could be a detriment in the long run if they can't attract developers.

Thoughts?

Official press release: BlackBerry - Press Releases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The size seems about right, and it isn't too flashy. If the WiFi tethering ability to a Blackberry, Android or iPhone allows for a decent VPN network presentation, it would be a good companion to an IT person who is on call often. RIM devices allow me to present as if I'm on my employer's network. Thus I can log in to fix issues without having to ruin an afternoon out. I could tether my MBP or Lenovo as well, but I wouldn't have actually brought either along with me to dinner or a movie. Something like this I might actually bring along assuming I don't need a "European shoulder bag" to tote it around.
Anyhow, I guess my take is that it could be a good tool for work in a pinch. I still don't see it replacing a laptop for big jobs though. If it has no contract, so much the better.
Thanks for the post Van.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If the WiFi tethering ability to a Blackberry, Android or iPhone allows for a decent VPN network presentation, it would be a good companion to an IT person who is on call often. RIM devices allow me to present as if I'm on my employer's network.
The following quote makes me believe that it may do what you want (and other IT professionals):
Perfect for either large organizations or an “army of one”, the BlackBerry PlayBook is designed to give users what they want, including uncompromised web browsing, true multitasking and high performance multimedia, while also providing advanced security features, out-of-the-box enterprise support and a breakthrough development platform for IT departments and developers.
That's from the official press announcement so as usual, cut through the "marketing speak."

One thing I forgot the first time around was the fact that it runs QNX. The fact that the device runs a variant of an OS that is used in nuclear power plants is kind of interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Saw this comparison chart on engadget.com today. Of course, this is tech specs only. Hands-on is what really matters.

Tablets.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
ooohhh, tablet market seems to be looking interesting.

Reaction score
The Streak just makes me want to gag. It's an oversized phone…at least that's how I see it.

The PlayBook (interesting name- what have they got planned?) and the Galaxy look like great, possibly cheaper alternatives to the iPad (I kind of doubt this). In any case- I already have a Mac, iTunes and an iPod touch. An iPad would fill my tablet gap best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Still not personally interested. However, the playbook seems to be the most interesting so far. Of course, it's hard to say without a hands-on. It definitely has some high specs, though, and has some interesting features for the work-place. I think this pad could find it's niche in the work-place, as opposed to the consumer market.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something interesting to note is something I read earlier (if I find the source, I'll post it). The author of this particular article noted that although the device looks good now, it's coming out in three months at the earliest and that's assuming it comes out at the beginning of January. A lot can happen between now and when this thing actually gets released.

I'm a bit concerned about the pricing. Although there aren't any details yet, my guess is that if it's not subsidized by mobile companies (unlikely since it will be wifi only initially), it may be quite expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I love the competition, I think in the end it benefits everybody Apple,RIM,Samsung,end user...etc

My only gripe if you can even call it that is the 7inch display. It just seems a little small for me when it comes to a tablet. I'm very comfortable with my iPad screen 9inches, my phone is 4.3inches and my MBP is 15.4inches. It seems the competition(RIM & Samsung) are going for a mid size tablet maybe something you could put in your coat pocket or backpack. Either way I like what the competitors doing.

Reaction score
7 inch is too small for a tablet. It really stretches the meaning of a device between a mobile and a netbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.