• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Verizon-Apple iPhone agreement 'may not ever get resolved'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I'm not 100% sure I agree with this analysis.

Verizon is legendary for it's stubbornness, as is apple. However, at this point, with sales the way they are, I think the ball is completely in apple's court to pretty much make any deal they want with verizon.

Now, I'm no lawyer, but to make a deal dependent on slowing support for android may just violate antitrust laws. Maybe someone else more versed in this can back that up.

Not that that's ever stopped apple. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Good Lord. More of the same. These two together would make Stalin smile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 4Gb Ram / Powermac G5 2 TB RAID , 16GB Ram Running Leopard
I am a Verizon customer and want an iPhone pretty bad, not bad enough mind you to go back to ATT . I am hoping that they get this ironed out so I can get my iPhone by this summer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I am on Sprint and I want an iPhone! I hope they don't get it worked out and come on over to Sprint!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly, as long as it comes over to a carrier with 1-year contracts available, I'd be happy. Those 2 year gig's with AT&T took the fun out of everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
I dont think AT&T will make this easy for Apple either...
Can the Verison network take the bandwidth sucking Iphone? find out next week!

Reaction score
fre

I have a cellphone cavemen would have used, and I have been holding out upgrading waiting for the Iphone to come to verizon, is the general rumor consensus that the verizon iphone is supposed to be released or announced at the end of Janurary 2011 right?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I don't know that there is a consensus.

These rumors have been going on for ages and ages. The current one, and the one with the most actual support, is that there is a CDMA iPhone in development (and I don't think there's any doubt to THAT part), and that we could see verizon iPhones or an announcement as early as January.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Honestly, as long as it comes over to a carrier with 1-year contracts available, I'd be happy. Those 2 year gig's with AT&T took the fun out of everything.

But they weren't even really two year contracts in practice. Sign two year contract for first iPhone, still get 3G at release for subsidized price as long as you sign new two year agreement. But when the 3GS came out, 3G users were still getting the subsidized price, as long as they renewed their contract. Then it happened again with the release of the iPhone 4.

So while you're technically entering two year agreements, in effect it's more like a one year agreement. I would not be surprised in the least bit if it turned out all the iPhone 4 users could upgrade to the fifth gen iPhone at the subsidized price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I chose not to upgrade every year. I kept# 1 for two and tried the iPhone4 about 1 year through my# 2. I figured why spend$ 200 every year when I didn't need to do so to maintain my contract. For me, paying $200 twice was better than doing it 3 times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The Wall Street Journal has just posted an article repeating the "rumor" that Apple is ramping up for production of a CDMA iPhone. A number of blogs have been commenting on this, and one in particular (I cannot for the life of me figure out which it was now) made the particular important observation that the WSJ does not make a habit of repeating rumors without good reason. Also, John Gruber made the point that even if Apple is preparing production of a CDMA-based iPhone, this does not mean that Verizon has agreed to carry it. It could be going to Sprint, any of a number of Chinese carriers, or perhaps simply sold unlocked so people can take it to Verizon, whether Verizon is amenable to Apple's terms or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But they weren't even really two year contracts in practice. Sign two year contract for first iPhone, still get 3G at release for subsidized price as long as you sign new two year agreement. But when the 3GS came out, 3G users were still getting the subsidized price, as long as they renewed their contract. Then it happened again with the release of the iPhone 4.

So while you're technically entering two year agreements, in effect it's more like a one year agreement. I would not be surprised in the least bit if it turned out all the iPhone 4 users could upgrade to the fifth gen iPhone at the subsidized price.

Since the original iPhone wasn't subsidized, there was no reason to not let people upgrade to the 3G. If anything, it was in AT&T's best interests so they could lock you in for two years at a much higher data plan rate. Quite frankly, I'm not certain anyone who bought the original iPhone had to sign a 2 year agreement (though they weren't supposed to be able to go elsewhere anyway with it). I don't recall signing a new 2-year term when I got it. Certainly not one with upgrade restrictions/penalties.

As for the 3Gs, they only relaxed the upgrade rules that the 3G owners signed and agreed to because they were too stupid/petty to understand those rules. And as for the iPhone 4… no it didn't happen entirely. My wife and I both upgraded from the 2G to the 3Gs on day 1. She was eligible for the iPhone 4 on launch, I am not eligible until January. There's some formula involved in determining the eligibility, like years as a customer, how much you spend on your plan, etc.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
What is the purpose of an iphone if verizon demands its own app store? Or would they share 2 app stores?

The only purpose is for Verizon to never have the iphone. Apple already said no once to Verizon for way too many demands. And Apple will reject Verizon again if they are dumb enough to make silly demands. And if the do that the big looser will be Verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Wow! All the verizon customers are getting so riled up over this excitement...even stating that they dont care about the Apple app store as long as they have the actual iphone. I didn't know the iphone provided such a great image for current owners! If you don't care about the apps, and only care about the phone, you only want the iphone for its IMAGE! I used to not care if verizon was/wasn't going to get the iphone, but now I will forever be hoping they don't. I truly believe Apple is wasting their effort on them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess is that Verizon phones would simply have an app, like the current App Store does, that is a portal to their store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow! All the verizon customers are getting so riled up over this excitement...even stating that they dont care about the Apple app store as long as they have the actual iphone. I didn't know the iphone provided such a great image for current owners! If you don't care about the apps, and only care about the phone, you only want the iphone for its IMAGE! I used to not care if verizon was/wasn't going to get the iphone, but now I will forever be hoping they don't. I truly believe Apple is wasting their effort on them!

I don't know who would say that. The ONLY reason I would want the iphone is for the app store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.