slow internet on mac, normal on pc both on same network

Reaction score
I have just moved in with my boyfriend and am connecting to his wireless network.

I am getting downoad speeds of just 52kbs on my mac when on the pc at the same time speedtests are showing 4.2mbs.

What can be causing this? I don't understand.

It seems as well that my mac is using the available speed, it's just getting lost somewhere. I'll explain:

I was doing a speedtest on the pc and when the dial was showing the current speed when running the test it was just 0.4 mbs, at this time I was downloading Skype application on my mac, it was saying speeds of 15kbs so it had been taking ages. When I then paused the download on my mac, the speedtest dial on the pc shot up to 4.2mbs on the pc. So it seems as though the bandwith is getting lost somehow on the mac, it's being used, but it's not being used right.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please say if anything doesn't make sense. I design and build websites for a living, and this lack of internet is driving me mad, I keep having to move over to the pc :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.