• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iPads on College Campuses? Maybe Next Year

Reaction score
My school says if it gives Freshman electronic devices, they'll likely be stolen. So, in essence, my school says "bring at your own risk" when it comes to things like the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
Chris- that's what you get for going to university of south central LA... kidding if course. Mobile device theft is a major issue at my alma mater... if it isn't chained down, it gets stolen.

IPad would be a useful tool if....
You could take notes on it- preferably right in the etext. A really good handwriting recognition software would be a gamechanger.

You could get more than mobile versions of software... as a former art student, I would have loved an iPad with creative suite.

Textbooks would have to be readily and universally available. A $500 investment freshman year would be easy to justify if 4 years worth of texts would then be significantly less expensive.

Universities would have to beef up their wireless networks. I graduated from a state school that didn't allow mobile devices on the network because too may people had them and they claimed that it would overload the system.

But its a good plan and I certainly expect the college students of the future to not know what paper is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
fox news by the way if anyone didnt catch that.
and I would seriously, seriously doubt this, considering how easy to steal and how breakable these things are, plus no usb means no flash drives. would be really nice to get either an ipad or a kindle for books though, pay 180 bucks for the device, pay half as much for the books, not have to worry about buying a new book just because they reworded paragraph 2000 on page 481.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
What does Foxnews have to do with anything?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.