thinking of getting iphone, have some questions

Reaction score
1) Do left-handed people have to worry about the antenna issue? That is, since I will be consistently holding the phone in my left hand, will the antenna be obscured?

2) What will 200 MB of 3g get me?

3) can i add components to my plan (like more minutes/data/texts) if what I start out with isn't enough?

4) will there be any significant difference with the white version?

5) How many "hidden charges" are there per month (for people living in Texas)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 3GS & iPhone4 Factory Unlocked.
1. I have an iphone4 and i am not having antenna issues at all. Although i am using a factory unlocked on tmobile.

4. I personally do not think so, its just going to be the same phone just in white color.

Questions 2, 3, and 5, you should ask at&t since they have nothing to do with your phone but your plan.

C

chas_m

200MB of 3G should be considered an "emergency supply" when you don't have wifi available. It will not take much to eat that up.

Reaction score
dont hesitate to get one

i am Left handed and always have it in my left hand or when im talking i use my left hand.

2. 200 mb is really not a lot. and for only $10 more you mind as well get a 2gig cap. plus u can use wifi ( which is all over now days)

3. U can always change your plan but keep in mind u WILL get pro rated charges for changing your plan in the middle of a bill cycle

4. white version just looks nicer (in my opinion) its my favorite color

5. I live in Texas and the only thing u will see is the following :

1st months bill will be $36 activation fee
and tax as well as fees that are like $2 or $3 which add like a total of $6 extra for government fees and stuff like that

hope this has helped you out!!

p.s i use my iphone CONSTANTLY and i will tell you what my plan has for only $84.99 a month!!

450 min anytime and 5000 night and weekends
unlimited texting
2GB data package

Reaction score
Ok, the antenna issue afaik is fixed, if you are worried about it then you shouldn't get an iPhone at all.

200 mb is plenty of data for web browsing and apps but you would have to avoid frequent use of Youtube and Google Maps.

As for the white iPhone...no one knows.

Reaction score
200mb is not a lot. Most EvERYONE who gets that goes over it. And ends up having to change it. Just pay for the 2GB an use wifi whenever possible.

The antenna problem is a real issue. And cases and bumpers don't seem to help it. Although it's not as huge of an issue as people make it. To me it's pretty easy to not hold it that way. Even left handed. Mine and my girlfriends Iphone 4's both have the antenna problem.

It only happens when you hold it on the black strip. If you hold the phone without touching that part then you're okay. If you're in an area with 3 or more bars you might not even notice it even if you do touch the antenna. But when you go somewhere without much service and you hold the antenna you will see the effects of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
200mb is not a lot. Most EvERYONE who gets that goes over it. And ends up having to change it. Just pay for the 2GB an use wifi whenever possible.

The antenna problem is a real issue. And cases and bumpers don't seem to help it. Although it's not as huge of an issue as people make it. To me it's pretty easy to not hold it that way. Even left handed. Mine and my girlfriends Iphone 4's both have the antenna problem.

It only happens when you hold it on the black strip. If you hold the phone without touching that part then you're okay. If you're in an area with 3 or more bars you might not even notice it even if you do touch the antenna. But when you go somewhere without much service and you hold the antenna you will see the effects of it.

That about sums it up. Good post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
200MB is pretty small. I was surprised why AT&T didn't offer 500MB instead. If you don't think you will be using data much when your away from WiFi, than go with the 200MB. I have an unlimited data plan still, and still use WiFi when available.

As for the white iPhone, there's no noticeable differences. It's the same phone except it's white.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ok, the antenna issue afaik is fixed, if you are worried about it then you shouldn't get an iPhone at all.

200 mb is plenty of data for web browsing and apps but you would have to avoid frequent use of Youtube and Google Maps.

As for the white iPhone...no one knows.

Just thought I'd chime in on the antenna now that I've had my iPhone 4 a couple of weeks.

I had Ghost Armor put on the entire phone (front, back, sides, top, and bottom) the 2nd day I got my phone. I hoped maybe the G.A. would shield the antenna from contact with my skin somehow. Didn't help (or hurt) at all. So this is what you could call a "protected" antenna and putting my left hand over it does cause the bars to drop. However, it does not result in a dropped call OR in loss of quality of the call. Yes, I have the most recent iOS. I can cause it to drop from 4 bars down to 1 bar in my house. But like I said, doesn't change quality of phone conversation at all. I'm pretty sure it's merely fooling the phone into thinking it has a lesser signal strength, when in reality nothing actually changes as far as the real signal connection goes.

What I'm saying is it's nothing to worry about, even if you do get a phone that shows less bars when "holding it wrong".

I've heard (but not experienced) that an actual case on the iPhone 4 will remedy the attenuation.

Reaction score
there are NO hidden fees with ANY wireless carrier. Only fees YOU do not ask about and or remember when you sign up.

Some of the additional fees are mandated by the FCC/government, state and local

ASK, ASK ASK its your responsibility

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.