iMac Networking Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 iMac, 21.5", 3.2 GHz Core i3
Current setup is iMac 21.5, i3, 3.2 Ghz, 4 GB - Airport Extreme - 2Wire dsl modem/router. The AE is configured to join a wireless network and bridge mode. Not really having a connection problem but noticed something when I made a change. I disabled SSID broadcast on the 2Wire to make my network less visible to the prying eye. I was unable to locate the AE closed network option so no changes made there. Now I have to enter the name of network and password to connect. No problem there and all works well. My question is:

After I log on and check wireless networks from status bar I now show my network that I am connected to and another network with no name but also shown as connected. If I try to connect to the nameless network I am asked for WPA password. My normal password does not work and I can't join that network.

Is this because the AE is dual band? Do I need to find the closed network option on the AE? Is this normal under my setup? Like I said, not really affecting performance as far as I can tell, just want to understand what it means.

I am a recent convert and still feeling my way around things. Hope I explained this correctly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.