Do I have any options with a broken iphone 4 screen?

Reaction score
I bought the phone on Friday, and dropped it on Saturday, so I have had the phone for 2 days. The front screen is shattered, but the phone works fine.

Should I go back to ATT and tell them and see if they will give me a new one? I know Apple won't replace it because I caused the damage.

Should I get third party insurance and then try to get it replaced ?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Doesn't hurt to try, but the outlook on a new one seems slim. I would start looking at glass replacement tutorials and whatnot for your iPhone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can certainly try as Crimson has stated, however, I wouldn't expect AT&T to give you a new phone. They might repair it for you at your cost...

And as far as getting insurance and then file a claim goes.... It's not only dishonest, but I can assure you the insurance folks are no dummies. They'll probably deny the claim and cancel your policy.

It's too bad you dropped it. Just live with it and pay to get it repaired and next time be more careful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Also fyi repairing the iPhone 4 screen is much more costly than the 3G/3GS because unlike those models, the iP4's display is all one unit, You can buy the display unit for as low as $150 upwards of $250. Luckily based on the videos I have seen it looks fairly easy to do yourself. Besides it's always fun to take stuff apart.

Reaction score
I want to chime in. I would forget about purchasing insurance as odds are very good you will lose your claim and policy. Like the other poster stated, insurance companies are not stupid. Also they usually cover just basic wear and tear. Anything deemed "user fault" usually is denied.

OP
M
Reaction score
Went to the Apple Store, told them I dropped it and broke the screen and I bought it a few days ago. The guy gave me a brand new phone for no charge. Apple customer service gets an A+ from me today.

Also, I understand now that it would have been fraud if I got insurance after the fact and told them I broke the phone, but why were people so dead set on the insurance company not replacing my phone???????

If I buy the phone on Friday night, get insurance on Monday, how will they know I broke it first?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Went to the Apple Store, told them I dropped it and broke the screen and I bought it a few days ago. The guy gave me a brand new phone for no charge. Apple customer service gets an A+ from me today.

Also, I understand now that it would have been fraud if I got insurance after the fact and told them I broke the phone, but why were people so dead set on the insurance company not replacing my phone???????

If I buy the phone on Friday night, get insurance on Monday, how will they know I broke it first?

That's really cool they swapped it out, Most of the Geniuses are cool like that.
As for the insurance it's a complete scam and rip off. I know carriers are constantly trying to push insurance for their phones, I have never purchased cellphone insurance nor have I ever needed,but honestly my opinion it's a two way scam, The insurance provider is screwing you and your screwing them, When you file a false claim.

Sorry for the rant, I have always thought cellphone insurance is the biggest rip off.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Ok these are your options...

1. Take it into Apple, because it was your faulty you could replace if you pay a certain fee.

2. Take it to ATT, pay a certain fee and get it replaced.

3. Chuck it on eBay, sell it and use the money to buy another one.

4. Go to a mobile store and ask them to replace the screen for you.

5. Buy the parts on eBay and replace the screen yourself.

Of course the last 2 options will void your warranty.

I think you need to look up a few post. Apple replaced it for him for free. ^-^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.