• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Microsoft tablet to be "no thicker than sheet of glass" ... but what kind of glass?

Reaction score
Gimmicky (in other words, fishy).

And really? They want to put sensors in the screen? I can see it now: dead pixels and a subpar screen image (and loads of problems).

Microsoft you, make me LMBO (substitute B for A and you'll get it).

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Must likely a sheet of bullet proof glass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
and would it be see through ....

I couldnt use it if it was as i would hate to see what is underneath it as im trying to use it YUCK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
ffs, can somebody please design a decent tablet?
why does everyone think they need to throw away performance just to make them tiny? give us a machine that doesnt skimp on power just because you want it to weigh as much as a a cellphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have not looked it up but full power tablets have been around for a long time with all the
connections,bells,buzzers and whistles with the same problems they are heavy and not battery friendly in order to accommodate the above so the next best thing is to make it lighter longer battery life and run it on a mobile OS hence the iPad and why it outsold the previous not to mention cheaper.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm not impressed. Microsoft is always playing catch up with existing products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Personally, I hope they get it right. Like many folks I'm stuck with Windows at work. A well executed tablet would be welcome companionship under the floor of my datacenter (where laptops are too big to open).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
I bet they'll use a translucent polycarbonate, rather than actual glass... but won't figure it out until testing phase...

"ok, now drop it from a height of 3 feet."
*sound of shattering glass*
"crap. Try 3 inches."
*sound of shattering glass*
"crap"

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Shatter proof glass people. MS would not be dumb enough to use normal glass or would they? With Ballmer as their chief anything is possible.
And you not see what is underneath the tablet as the screen graphics would nor be transparent I would think.
Personally a tablet that is 2 pieces of shatter proof glass with a thin layer technology between them both is to me a really good idea. I'd really like to see someone come up with a tablet of this nature.

Reaction score
Shatter proof glass people. MS would not be dumb enough to use normal glass or would they? With Ballmer as their chief anything is possible.
And you not see what is underneath the tablet as the screen graphics would nor be transparent I would think.
Personally a tablet that is 2 pieces of shatter proof glass with a thin layer technology between them both is to me a really good idea. I'd really like to see someone come up with a tablet of this nature.

Don't hold your breath. This IS Microsoft after all. ;P

Reaction score
No thicker than a sheet of glass? It's probably as thick as bullet proof glass coated with another layer of coating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.