Is this Spec good for the software I'm going to be using?

Reaction score
Hello there

I have been coming to these forums for some time now and I've finally decided to join.

I am going to invest in a macbook pro 17" for university due to the high specification demands and other reasons.

The software I will be using on my course are:
Pro tools 8
Cubase
Adobe CS master collection
Avid media composer
Adobe audition
Reason
NI Komplete
There are some more but not sure what at the moment.

I was wondering what specification I should use for my mbp 17". Should I just add the antiglare screen and keep the rest of the spec the same?

I was thinking of increasing the RAM from 4GB to 8GB
and the processor from the i5 2.53Ghz to the i7 2.66Ghz

Opinions and help would be appreciated :).

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I see you're in for a lot of audio/video training/work. All these programs LOVE RAM...get as much as you can afford! As far as processors, I cannot advise...Heck, I just bought my first Mac (a MINI) 2 weeks ago and I couldn't even tell you if I have i5 or i7. I do know the processors speed, though. Sorry to hijack your thread...but can anyone tell me how to determine which ones (dual) I have?

Again...so sorry to hijack . . . Dogbreath

OP
Reaction score
Thanks for you help dogbreath :).

If anyone else could also advise me i would be grateful.
if you click on the apple logo and click "about this mac" it will tell you the spec... as i haven't got a mac but have used one... i may be wrong.

can anyone advise me if they have any ideas :). thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy the machine with the best graphics processor and CPU. You can always add memory later on and up the hard drive to a larger one if needed. No sense paying Apple a premium price for memory or a larger hard drive when you can do both yourself without voiding the warranty. As for the anti-glare screen, that's a personal choice and decision which you will have to make.

Personally, I like the glossy screen and find no problem using it under bright lighting or outside. But everyone is different so you will need to make that choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
As I said, these recording programs need bunches of RAM.....but chscag is right, the additional RAM doesn't have to come from Apple. It can be bought much cheaper RAM from places like OWC later as you learn the software and need the RAM.

Thanks for telling me how to see what I had...I assumed since it said it was an Intel Core 2 Duo that it had 2 processors...it only has one. I thought I was getting 2. Still couldn't find if it is i5 or i7 . . . Dogbreath

Reaction score
As I said, these recording programs need bunches of RAM.....but chscag is right, the additional RAM doesn't have to come from Apple. It can be bought much cheaper RAM from places like OWC later as you learn the software and need the RAM.

Thanks for telling me how to see what I had...I assumed since it said it was an Intel Core 2 Duo that it had 2 processors...it only has one. I thought I was getting 2. Still couldn't find if it is i5 or i7 . . . Dogbreath
Hi there,
The Core2Duo and i-series processors are totally different processors. Basically, C2Ds are currently used in Mac Minis and were also used in the previous generations of Apple's laptops, which have now been upgraded to i-series CPUs.

Hope this info helps. :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, Rottie for the information I was looking for. I apologize to 03birdik, chscap, and Rottie for hi-jacking this thread...I have been reprimanded and I do apologize . . . Dogbreath

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.