Improve Wireless Performance - College Dorm

Reaction score
The internet here at my college is pretty darn slow during peak hours especially. Using iStumblr I discovered they use wireless b for some of their routers. Which are mounted on the ceiling in the hall. I was looking to see if there was anyway to gain more performance for faster speeds. I do have a little to spend, and I also tried tethering my phone, i get about the same speed connection.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The internet here at my college is pretty darn slow during peak hours especially. Using iStumblr I discovered they use wireless b for some of their routers. Which are mounted on the ceiling in the hall. I was looking to see if there was anyway to gain more performance for faster speeds. I do have a little to spend, and I also tried tethering my phone, i get about the same speed connection.

Not a whole lot you can do if you're reliant on their wireless connection. If you were allowed to pull in a different ISP into the dorm, that would be a different story. But as long as you connect to their network, you're going to have to compete for bandwidth. Unfortunately 802.11b is pretty limited at a peak speed of 11mb/s. With two or more users connnected to the same WAP, you're dividing that bandwidth by the number of users connected.

Reaction score
Oftentimes college dorms will have ethernet plug-ins in addition to wireless. Sometimes they won't even advertise that they are available in the dorm rooms since everyone is so set on using wireless (and doesn't want to go through the expense or hassle to set up their own network). When I was in college there was wireless in the dorms but I set up my own network for the same reason as you mentioned above.

OP
S
Reaction score
There is a port available. But unforunately it wont let my computer be authorized even when i use my router in bridge mode. It says im already registered when i log in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.