Buying Windows 7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Processer, Nvidia 9400m
I have parallels 4 and am upgrading to run windows 7. I want to buy Home Premium and whenever i inspect it closer on a website it always says, "for upgrade from Vista." Now this is for copies that all cost the same so it confuses me. Am I just being and idiot? Also I am getting this because my engineering class is using a program that requires windows. Also if I should get business, or Ultimate please let me know. (I am in Highschool so I can't get college discount, also I am upgrading from parallels 4 to 6. Would I need to by 5 as well? And I also want to run Fallout 3 in this, I had a trial copy of Windows in boot camp and Fallout 3 worked fine, someone on the parallels website said that they got it to work on parallels 5 just fine. I however recall the VM cutting your RAM in half and the person on the website had 8GB, I have 4GB.) Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
There are different versions of windows: Full (or Retail) and Upgrade versions.
For the upgrade versions you need to have a previous version of windows installed to upgrade it to Windows 7. For full versions, you do can do clean installs and do not need to have a previous version of Windows.
You do not say which website you visited. So assuming, you are looking at Microsoft's store at Microsoft Windows 7 - Download, Buy and Upgrade at Microsoft Store. you can get full windows 7 pro for £219.99 or Ultimate for £229.99.
To save money, you can go to places like Amazon and save a fortune and get
Windows 7 Pro for £158 or Ultimate for £158.

I do not think running games in a VM such Parrallels is a good idea, there is no guarantee it will work at all as you need full 3D access to play games. Use Bootcamp instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.