Lens will scratch, get a case

Reaction score
The previous iPhone4 lens scratch thread got closed due to bickering. So I started a new one to say Yes the lens will scratch. Even if nothing else has scratched. I have babied my phone, and used an Apple bumper since day 1. However, i do put it in a <very clean> pocket. Since i have done nothing else that would touch the lens, it has to be the pocket environment that is scratching the lens. Further, the bumper seems to be protecting the left side of the lens nearest the bumper. All the scratches are on the right side of the lens, and vertical, supporting the into and out of the pocket theory.
So, since i bought this largely for the excellent camera, i brought it to the Apple store today to see what they could do. The sales guy tells me it is no big deal and shows me his lens. My lens had some light scratches across the right side. HIS lens was scratched all to heck! He claims it still takes good pictures, and it does not matter if it has scratches. We argue for a while, and i ask for the manager. The manager gives me a new phone.
They both suggest a full thick case with the hole cutouts for the camera (like the Otterbox) if i want to keep from scratching my new lens.
This is a real deal, and the people who say they don't have scratched lenses must have put it into a lens-protecting case when they first got the phone.
This camera lens will most definitely scratch.
Protect it from day 1 if you are a camera nut like me.
thanks for reading so far, i'm impressed you are still here!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear you were able to get a new iPhone. Another plus for Apple service! And thanks for posting back about the lens scratches. Hopefully others who own an iPhone will learn from this and protect theirs.

Reaction score
FYI the Apple ppl really don't want to give you a new phone. They claim it is cosmetic damage and $200 to fix.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As long as this thread remains civil with no Name calling, insulting, or trolling, it will remain open. That is why the other was closed.

frugalbrutus, thanks for the report and the information.

OP
F
Reaction score
FYI the Apple ppl really don't want to give you a new phone. They claim it is cosmetic damage and $200 to fix.

Yep, that is what the first technician was saying. I was arguing with him, and finally asked for the manager. The manager was very quick to offer a new phone. Nice, that is what i "expected" from all the good things I have heard about apple, but was still weird and disappointing to have the strange argument with the first guy. The first guy treated me like crap, the manager treated me like a king. I do think Apple should rethink, or retrain, the first level of support people, at least at my store...

OP
F
Reaction score
As long as this thread remains civil with no Name calling, insulting, or trolling, it will remain open. That is why the other was closed.

frugalbrutus, thanks for the report and the information.

That's cool. I appreciate a well moderated forum. Thanks!

Reaction score
But that doesn't mean you cant sweet talk them into doing it. Just a heads up for everyone.
Also, thank you OP. Seemed like no one else believed me. And yes , it greatly affect picture quality. Mine were so fuzzy the pictures just looked terrible.

Reaction score
So does this mean that the new iPod touch will be affected as well? If that's the case (no pun intended) I'll be sure to spring for a case!

Reaction score
So does this mean that the new iPod touch will be affected as well? If that's the case (no pun intended) I'll be sure to spring for a case!

that's a good question. it could be one of those things where they've fixed it quietly, the problem being that you can't tell what kind of glass is over the lens just by looking at it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Well, a case does seem to be a good idea. I bought the Otterbox, and it doubles (or more) the thickness of the phone, but there is no way the lens will get scratched in this case. But i think the thinner cases that have protection all the way around the lens would probably be just fine too. It probably just needs something to keep the table top and the pocket material from rubbing against the lens, and a little bit of case material around the lens is likely enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.