• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone here an educator/teacher/professor?

J

JSchultz

Just curious, as I am in the secondary education program right now. My main focus will be in Literature/English.

I really am very excited about doing this, and it seems it will be so great that it won't even be a job. I'm just looking for insight from others who may be also going into the field, or who have been teaching for quite some time. Curious about long term happiness, and pay mostly.

Thanks!

OP
I

iSeeKlearly

Im not a teacher or anything, mostly a mere student, but I think that most of the teachers do, actually enjoy their jobs at my current school...

I do have a favourite teacher though, he's like the best teacher ever....
He's really great when it comes to teaching,he sorta comes up with new ways to teach his classes,He substituted for one of my teachers before, but I never really been in one of his classes;but I know what I have to look forward to. Im really excited about it.

But teaching has its downs to it, because if you be the nice guy all the time, you sometimes have people run over top of you, and thats not too good. But play it safe, and just go with the flow of things.

Hope you have a great future in teaching...

-iSeeKlearly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am not a teacher but come from a family of several teachers who all love it. It is what they wanted to do from the time they were in high school/college for most of them. The pay starts off pretty low and its a tough situation because the schools that pay higher are usually in higher cost of living areas so its tougher to find a home where as you can go to another district with lower pay with lower cost of living.

All of my uncles who are teachers have told me that if I want to be a teacher (I have been a math tutor for years and the whole family thinks I will just become a math professor) that I should marry a girl who will make big cash to live a very comfortable life (All of them married girls who make close to twice as much as them and are the primary breadmakers in the home)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
JSchultz said:
Just curious, as I am in the secondary education program right now. My main focus will be in Literature/English.

I really am very excited about doing this, and it seems it will be so great that it won't even be a job. I'm just looking for insight from others who may be also going into the field, or who have been teaching for quite some time. Curious about long term happiness, and pay mostly.

Thanks!

I'm working on my PhD in Chemistry and have had the opportunity to teach a couple of courses of the last few years [and I tutor fairly regularly]. In my limited experience, Teaching is awsome... when class sizes are manageable. When classes are too large it not only diminishes the experience for the students, it makes the experience of teaching rather frustrating.

Good luck on your teaching career!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I've taught sales seminars and that kinda thing, but no actual "teaching."

I see you are near Chicago. Michigan I believe is one of the top states for paying their teachers. It wouldn't be a huge culture shock to have to live there.

OP
J

JSchultz

Yeah, but I'd be hard pressed to leave this great city.

I have tons of relatives in the west Detroit suburbs, and my mom's fiancee actually has a beach-house in Grand Haven, so I sort of know bits and pieces of the state.

I wonder how it is they manage to pay the best? Taxes high in MI? Not that I'm overly concerned about good pay, as I will probably never come close to a six-figure income. Starting anywhere near 37K would be LUCKY for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.