help how to share itunes between 2 users on the same imac

Reaction score
Hi

I have been tyring to set up itunes to share the libary with another user on the same imac. I have followed the details shown on Apple website but nothing is happening. Does any one have any ideas. I have copied the itunes media file the public folder changed this in itunes with preferences and advanced then done the same with the other user but it does not work Help!!!
mpgrant5 is offline Reply With Quote

Reaction score
Hi

I have been tyring to set up itunes to share the libary with another user on the same imac. I have followed the details shown on Apple website but nothing is happening. Does any one have any ideas. I have copied the itunes media file the public folder changed this in itunes with preferences and advanced then done the same with the other user but it does not work Help!!!

Move the entire iTunes folder in Music (copy it) to an external drive (flash or hard disk). From there on the other account, drag and drop the folder into Music>iTunes. It should work. I've done this countless times.

Reaction score
Hi there. Can I add to endless problems we seem to have with permissions and two accounts. I had followed last year when we bought our iMac, a guide to setting up a single iTunes account for two people and it generally worked... (it was effectively the same as the link above) at least for a short time. However, every now and again, when my wife tries to listen to music from her account, she can not. It seems to loose access to the iTunes folder and it looks as though it is a permissions thing.

I have checked the permission settings for the iTunes folder from her account, and it is set to read and write (as it always has been). but still, when I try to re-point iTunes to the iTunes folder, it says she does not have permission to access it.

Thus, each time, I go into Finder, and for the iTunes folder, I allow permission for that folder and all subfolders, which takes a long time and she once again has access. iTunes will work for a while for her, then it will stop working again with exactly the same problem - she will be denied access to the iTunes folder.

I haven't tested this, but I suspect that when I add a new folder into the iTunes library, with a new artist, this is when her permissions stop working. Is there a way to stop this from happening, once and for all.

This just happened again, but this time, despite allowing all subfolders permission for my wife to this folder, iTunes still insists that she does not have permission to connect to this folder.

the iTunes folder and library is located on a second HD inside the iMac. The primary HD is a SSD with our accounts, OSX Lion and all apps. The second HD has data and files, including this iTunes library.

I have both our accounts set with permissions to read and write. I am the one who administers the iTunes account, basically, I add the new songs etc. But I want both accounts to work flawlessly.

I must admit, this seems to be a global problem we have with OSX. I have another "shared" folder on that 2nd HD, which I want both of us to have access to. Everything works fine when I set it up, and give us both the same permissions. But so often, it seems when one of us adds files and folders, the permissions change and we no longer have proper access to it.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix this for good?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.