• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Looking for first hand experience/advice with laptop insurance

Reaction score
Hey everyone I've been browsing the interwebs like crazy to find any sort of reliable non bias information on laptop insurance and I've come up with nothing!

My dilemma: I've just purchased a new Macbook Pro and it was way too much to not have accidental damage/theft coverage. I have renters insurance on my apartment but I doubt it would cover my computer if something silly were to happen, like water gets spilled on it. I especially need the insurance to cover my macbook when it leaves my house, in case it were to be stolen at school or something.

Any first hand experience and information would be greatly appreciated. Please include as much info as possible, rates and deductible cost, whats covered, customer service, length of time for claim processes, overall satisfaction? Anything else that comes to mind!

It would also be a plus if the policy could cover other electronics and goods such as music equipment or bicycles....

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try Safeware Insurance. Most home owner's and renter's policies have certain restrictions and deductibles. I get around that by using a special scheduled policy which lists items specifically. That type of policy has no deductible and covers accidental loss or damage.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, how much is the premium for how much coverage? Have you had to make any claims, how did that go?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I pay less than $75 a year for full coverage on all scheduled items. Premium depends on how many items you schedule and their value. I made one claim and that was some time back - for which they paid without any hassle whatsoever. (It was a loss claim.)

OP
C
Reaction score

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like NSSI has been around for awhile. While I have no personal experience with them, it should be easy enough to check on them through your state's insurance board or the Better Business Bureau. They also provide health insurance among other types of insurance. And they offer tracking for stolen iPods, computers, etc.

Call them up and speak with them. Their 800 number is listed on the web site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.