Blue screen installing boot camp drivers for XP

Reaction score
Hi All

So here goes!

I have a new iMac i3 27". So I installed MS XP SP2 x86.
The partition and install of XP all went fine.
The boot camp drivers all installed fine from snow-leopard disk that came with iMac.
I updated windows to service pack 3, then i had no sound.
Found on a forum saying that SP3 can cause problems with sound, so uninstalled SP3, still no sound.

Deleted partition and started again.
Windows installed fine, boot camp drivers installed fine, installed all updates up to SP3, then installed additional update post SP3, again no sound.

Created new partition and windows installed fine.
Then i ran boot camp drivers from the snow-leopard disk that came with iMac and about halfway through i got the blue screen of death and the mac restarted.

After restart the keyboard and mouse would not work, I tried connecting a USB mouse and nothing.

Read a forum saying that the Brodcom installer can cause a problem, so copied the contents of the boot camp installers excluding the Brodcom.msi
Then i ran boot camp drivers from the copy on the desk top and about halfway through i got the blue screen of death and the mac restarted.
After restart the keyboard and mouse would not work, nor USB.

Wiped my startup disk and reinstalled OSX snow-leopard, then i used time machine to restore to a point before i had tried using boot camp in the beginning.

Then i ran boot camp drivers from the snow-leopard disk that came with iMac and about halfway through i got the blue screen of death and the mac restarted.
After restart keyboard and mouse did work, ran the CD again and installed the rest of the drives with completed ok, then had to restart, after restart keyboard and mouse not working.

I have in total probably installed wiped and reinstalled XP about 7 times still with the same errors.

I don't understand how it can work the first two times and then have this happen every time after, not even windows installers are that bad.

It's an absolute joke, I am new to mac and I am seriously considering boycotting them and returning to PC. All this just to carry out a few simple operations on xp.

Please help, I will marry you.

Reaction score
Well, I'm already married and my wife is not that open-minded ... lol You might try installing Windows in a virtual machine instead of Boot Camp. Depending on what you need windows for, that is usually much simpler without mucking about installing drivers, etc. Try VirtualBox from Sun (it's free) and then reinstall Windows there. Very simple, works great and is (almost) foolproof. You really only need a Boot Camp installation if you want to do heavy Windows gaming or other applications that require hardware access to a discrete graphics adapter.

That should get you started on Windows with a lot less brain damage. I'll let other respond on the BC issues.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok maybe no marriage then :)

Well the reason I'm doing this in the first place is so I can use a bul ray player through windows as so i hear, VM's don't use the graphics hardware to enough of an extent!

Thanks for the advice :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok.

So i spoke to Apple.
There advice was to delete the windows partition using the Boot camp utility,
then boot OSX using the install CD (boot mac holding C with the OSX disk in)
select a language then select the Utilitys menu and select Disk utility,
now run a Repair disk permissions, I then ran a Repair disk as well to be sure,
exit and boot to OSX, then run boot camp and start again.

So I installed windows fine, installed the Apple Boot camp drivers from the OSX disk; all went fine, then it asks for a restart (obviously)
machine restarts and boots to windows and the keyboard and mouse don't work,
tried a USB mouse, nothing.
Phoned Apple again and they basically said that even though restarting after installing their drivers, that its a windows problem and wont help. Windows only give support on PC's only not Apple machines.

So the long and the short is, if your buying a Mac and need to use any Windows apps and can't use a VM, your on your own as far as boot camp is concerned as Apple seem reluctant to offer any real help with it and don't seem to give a crap either.
I've been really happy with mac up to this point and considering I only want to carry out one or two simple operations with Windows, I think this is real let down and all because Apple want to bleed every last penny out of their customers as far as blu ray and HD is concerned.
The evidence is 1) No HD movies on iTunes for the UK (but the USA have it)
2) No blu ray support with quick time even though Apple are on the board for the (Blu ray disk association) and if they cant integrate bul ray with Mac's yet they are about 3 years behind everything else on the market.
I would seriously consider taking my mac back if it was still with its 14 days return policy purely because they seem so determined to get one over on their customers. The company is what is know as a cartel; very 1950's.

Advised by a friend to try disconnecting all bluetooth devices (keyboard & mouse) and give a USB key board a go.
Will report back if anyone is listening (doubt it).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Advised by a friend to try disconnecting all bluetooth devices (keyboard & mouse) and give a USB key board a go. Will report back if anyone is listening (doubt it).

Give the USB keyboard and mouse a try first. Apple should have advised you when you spoke with them over the phone that when setting up Windows the first time using BC that you need USB not BT. Once Windows XP is working OK with the USB mouse and KB, then go ahead and pair your BT devices.

Also, you might want to download and install BC 3.1 (from Windows) to update drivers. Post back and let us know.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok,,, huuuuh

So i did a reinstall using USB KB and mouse (thanks chscag). Install ran fine, windows was working.
Ran the bootcamp drivers install from the OSX disk, blue screen halfway through install.
Windows rebooted, KB and mouse are still working but i have no sound. 3 drivers were listed as missing (high def audio and two chip set drivers), I updated the the drivers ok from the cd and ran the installer again to be certain, it ran ok, I finished and restarted. Still no sound. I can see no issues in computer management everything is listed as a'ok.
I've tried un-install and reinstall both drivers for sound, rolling back (no pervious version available), I'm at a loss.
I'm guessing my only other option is to buy a copy of Vista and try that (and try and return it as quick as possible when i find out it doesn't work).
Thanks gang.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.