Will not connect to any Internet

Reaction score
I have a MacBookPro running OS X.

I have full bars on my wireless signal but it won't connect to the internet. This is across all programs. I've been on this network for over a year with no problems. Another mac in the house, a PC, and an IPhone can all connect without problems.

Here is a list of all the troubleshooting things that haven't worked:

*Restarted computer, router and modem.
*Reentered password.
*Renewed DHCP license.
*Tried connecting to a different network, including an unsecured one.
*Cleared browser chaches; tried three different browsers.
*Pings come back with 100% packet loss.
*Tried a few numeric IDs.
*Tried an Ethernet connection.

I have no idea what else to do, and I'm trying to keep the Mac store a last resort as my Apple Care expired--literally--one week ago. Any suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So even with a hard wired Ethernet connection you get the same result? If you open System Preferences and Network and click on say your Wired connection what IP Address is showing?

OP
A
Reaction score
The Ethernet hook up generates the same (self-assigned) IP as trying to connect via wireless. The IP it shows is 169.254.7.75

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just for a test, make a new account and log in to the new account. Do you still have the issue?

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by new account. In Airport if I make a new 'location,' I still get the same problems and IP addresses for both my WAP-secured network and the unsecured network I have access to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.