Network Multiple Computers With the same Root User Name

Reaction score
First off, thank you in advance for any help.

So I have 6 computers in a small lab, some on OS 9 some on OS X. My issue is when I try to network them, they all have the same root user name, so sharing files can only be done one at a time. Changing the sharing name solved the problem in OS X, but the OS 9 computers all mount the other computer drives as the root user name. When I have a shortcut to a folder on one computer and network another computer, it can't find the file because it looks on the new folder.

This isn't really an issue for me, since I know how to unmount one computer and mount another, but the other users have trouble doing that. My final hopes are for there to be a folder on each desktop for the other 5 computer's main user's Documents folder and be able to open multiple computer's Documents at a time. I know it's possible to change the root user name by using the install disk, but I wanted to know if there is a better/faster way first.

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.