mini displayport to ADC

Reaction score
Can I use the displayport to dvi and then plug that in to my old DVI to ADC adaptor and plug in my old 23 & 17 inch display?

I just purchased a refurbish Mini 2.66ghz/2x2g/320/SD/AP/

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
?? Not sure the connections will fit.

Since the ADC is similar to DVI-I in that it can carry both analog and digital signals it should work.

The issue is going to be in the physical connections. The mini displayport to DVI adapter is DVI-D (digital) only. I have not seen, nor ever used ADC, but my best guess would be that the DVI to ADC adapter has a DVI-I connector which has 4 pins surrounding the long pin. Which means, the adapter you have, will have too many pins to fit into the DVI-D on the mdp to DVI as it does not have the openings for those 4 pins.

Take a physical look at your existing DVI adapter to verify. I have seen a DVI-D to DVI-I adapter, just don't have the time to go hunting for it at the moment. And it is only my best guess that it would work. You would end up with 3 adapters to get it working - mdp to DVI, DVI-D to DVI-I and the DVI to ADC.

(I have also moved this to it's own thread. It is not the same as the issue related to VGA connections.)

Reaction score
mini-dvi to DVI to ADC?

Is this the same issue as mine? I want to connect a new MacBookPro (with a mini-dvi port) to an older Apple Cinema Display (21") with an ADC female. I can't connect the two directly, so hoped an interim adapter would work. What more do I need to know before looking for the right ones?
Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No MBP has ever had a mini-DVI port. Beginning in Oct '08 the MBP has had a mini displayport (or mdp). Prior to that, they all had DVI.

Pretty much no matter which MBP you will need one of these - at $150 - $350.

If you have one of the newer MBPs, then you will also need a mdp to DVI adapter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.