MacBook, plasma TV, and surround sound

Reaction score
Hello!

We have just got a new plasma TV and surround sound system and are trying to hook up a MacBook pro to it. We've gotten the laptop and the TV connected but we can't figure out how to get the sound to come out of the surround sound instead of the TV.

The players involved are:
1) Aluminum MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and i5 processor
2) Samsung 720p plasma HDTV
3) Panasonic 5.1 HDMI home theatre system

So far we have an HDMI cable from the surround sound unit to the second HDMI port on the TV. When we put a DVD into the surround sound player, it works fine.

We also have an HDMI cable with DVI adaptor from the first HDMI/DVI port on the TV to the DVI port on the MacBook pro. A DVD in the MacBook plays on the TV but the sound only comes through the TV, not the surround sound.

We've tried changing the speaker setting on the TV from internal to external but it didn't do anything.

Not sure what our next step is, but we would appreciate any help!!!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
The i5 Macbook pro uses a Mini-Display port, doesnt it?
The new 2010 MacBook Pro's trasnmists Audio/Video through the Mini-Display port, which is GREAT!

If you have a Mini-Display to HDMI adapter that supports the sound then it should work. Some adapters do not transmit audio.

Here is an adapter that is known to work with Audio.
Griffin Video Display Converter - Apple Store (U.S.)

The only other way i can think of... You can try running a Mini- (headphone) cable from the laptop to your TV, and hope your TV allows you to choose an alternate audio source when using HDMI. Must receivers allow you to do this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, read the Sticky Post at the beginning of this forum. LINK

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I am not convinced that the Griffin adapter transmits audio. There are adapters that do transmit audio in the $8 price range vs the $40 for that Griffin one also.

Since you have the video from your Mac working and want sound via your 5.1 receiver, I would suggest you do nothing regarding changing the video adapter/cabling.

Simply add an audio cable from your Mac to the receiver. You'll need to look at the receiver (or pull out the owner's manual) to verify what type of input connections it allows.

If it has an optical input, you'll need a mini-toslink to toslink cable.
The second choice would be a stereo mini-plug to RCA.
You can find either of these at Amazon or monoprice.com for under $5.

That will be the cheapest method at this point. If you want specific recommendations to reduce clutter and best all around way to connect everything, you will need to provide all of the info requested in the first post of the link chscag has provided.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I learned something new, I had no clue the MBP's had a "Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)". That's awesome.
So the mini-toslink to toslink cable would work.

Good luck, Bobtomay is the man when it comes to this stuff!!! :)

OP
V
Reaction score
Simply add an audio cable from your Mac to the receiver. You'll need to look at the receiver (or pull out the owner's manual) to verify what type of input connections it allows.

Do you know which port on the MacBook I would put this audio cable into? So far it seems that the only appropriate port is being used to connect the MacBook to the TV.

Thanks for all the info so far though!! I do appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not convinced that the Griffin adapter transmits audio. There are adapters that do transmit audio in the $8 price range vs the $40 for that Griffin one also.

Since you have the video from your Mac working and want sound via your 5.1 receiver, I would suggest you do nothing regarding changing the video adapter/cabling.

If it has an optical input, you'll need a mini-toslink to toslink cable.
The second choice would be a stereo mini-plug to RCA.
You can find either of these at Amazon or monoprice.com for under $5.

That will be the cheapest method at this point. If you want specific recommendations to reduce clutter and best all around way to connect everything, you will need to provide all of the info requested in the first post of the link chscag has provided.

I learned something new, I had no clue the MBP's had a "Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)". That's awesome.
So the mini-toslink to toslink cable would work.

Good luck, Bobtomay is the man when it comes to this stuff!!! :)

Do you know which port on the MacBook I would put this audio cable into? So far it seems that the only appropriate port is being used to connect the MacBook to the TV.

Thanks for all the info so far though!! I do appreciate it.

The headphone jack is also a mini-toslink (aka optical) connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.