• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Dell may have struck out with new tablet 'Streak'

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hum I think I need some coffee. I thought it was named Steak and it was by NewsChef.com >_<"

Can't say I'm not surprised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
It was just plain stupid to put that thing on the streets with Android 1.6. I'll have to do some looking to see what their actual sales numbers were. I wouldn't think that it would be that high though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Should have called it the "Losing Streak"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Sounds incredibly dumb, to me.

I think an android tablet would provide some good competition against apple, if it's done right. However, this effort on Dell's part, is lazy at best. Certainly uninteresting.

I maintain my stance that these tablets are worthless to me, but I see the appeal to alot of people, and I think some harder work on the people looking to issue an android tablet would make for an interesting battle. An oversized, outdated phone, though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
This was a failure before it even went on sale, And not because of the hardware. You can't ship a device with Android 1.6 and expect anyone to buy it, Also they only went with one U.S carrier At&t which happens to be the least Android friendly carrier in the U.S.
Maybe Android 2.1 or 2.2 and a carrier like Verizon,Sprint or even Tmobile, This could have turned out much better, Why would anyone on At&t spend the money on this crippled device when they could buy the iPhone 4 for $199??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Sounds incredibly dumb, to me.

I think an android tablet would provide some good competition against apple, if it's done right. However, this effort on Dell's part, is lazy at best. Certainly uninteresting.

I maintain my stance that these tablets are worthless to me, but I see the appeal to alot of people, and I think some harder work on the people looking to issue an android tablet would make for an interesting battle. An oversized, outdated phone, though?

I see what you mean, This isn't a tablet it's like a hybrid phone tablet thingy, I don't think anyone knows what to make of it. Secondly tablets are a niche market and will continue to be in the future. I agree a Android tablet will be nice provided you have the backing of a good hardware manufacturer. Those of us that use or have used Android know the software is already there and Google has done a good job.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
From the article:
Well, Dell has decided to ship the Streak with version 1.6 of Android when the current version is 2.2, which is inexcusable, lazy and stupid. Not version 2.0, not 2.1 or even the new 2.2. The day you open the Streak you will be running an obsolete operating system.
This is noteworthy especially when you consider the pace of development of Linux (Android's base) and Android itself. For instance, Android 2 was released just over a month after 1.6. Seven months later, Froyo was released. I realize this means that if a device is in development and is based on a fast moving project it is likely to be out of dated quickly but Dell could have used a newer version of Android. If they had used an version of Android from the 2.x series, I would have understood.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the article:This is noteworthy especially when you consider the pace of development of Linux (Android's base) and Android itself. For instance, Android 2 was released just over a month after 1.6. Seven months later, Froyo was released. I realize this means that if a device is in development and is based on a fast moving project it is likely to be out of dated quickly but Dell could have used a newer version of Android. If they had used an version of Android from the 2.x series, I would have understood.

Just think if the Streak ships with 1.6 it will probably be 2011 before we even see Android 2.xx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have to say, I don't think there is an actual iPad like tablet that is better than the iPad itself! 6x3, what an odd size! I do like the camera though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Yeah, I watched a video demo of it from a tech reporter - it looked so awkward I couldn't believe that they were trying to convince people to use it as a phone. And that article really did nail it about being too big for a phone (and for a normal humans pocket, and it would look crazy on a belt...)

Dell should have either made a tablet like the iPad w/ 3G capability but not a phone (3g data, maybe pre-loaded with skype or something) or a phone. That tweener model just can't make up its mind at what it is, and the OS version - I mean come on, they could have put 2 on there prior to release.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.