Total Geek Idea - need help

Reaction score
I am a video/photo producer and am due for a new computer soon. Since I'm traveling more for work these days a laptop makes more sense than a desktop, especially now that laptops are much better than what they used to be. My old laptop (PowerBook G4) and desktop (PowerPC G5) are in fine working condition and not worth selling because they are so old. I want to group the two old computers with some high-speed storage and create a server network that my new laptop can tie into and use whether on the road or at home.

At home, I'll have high-speed media storage for editing and such, as well as a network that my wife and I can work off of for business/personal stuff from our respective laptops. On the road, I'll have the ability to back things up, access all my files and hopefully even perform administrative work on the server if necessary. It will also act as a secure FTP server for clients if need be.

I want my old laptop to be the brains of system and the desktop to act as the muscle, hopefully dividing tasks between them. Maybe even create a render farm using ALL of the computers. Basically a want to create a poor man's Xsan.

What do you think? Pie in the sky dream or something that can be accomplished with a little research and some extra gear/software?

Here's a list of my existing gear:

• Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5 - 4.5 GB RAM
  • 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4 - 1.5GB RAM
  • 4 TB SATA array with Lycom PCI-X SATAII Host Card
  • Basic home network
  • Final Cut Pro Studio
  • Adobe CS4 Master Suite

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.