macbook insurance

Reaction score
hey guys im going to buy a new macbook and i want to get special insurance for it. i dont want apple care or that sort of warranty. i want an insurance that covers theft/loss and accidental damage. can somebody advice me the best insurance. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Sounds like you want renter's or homeowner's insurance. Renter's insurance covers everything in your rented dwelling, even if your computer is lost or stolen somewhere else. This might vary from state to state.

Also, many credit cards cover purchases for theft. I bought my MBP with a Best Buy card and it's covered for theft.

I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about accidental damage though. There might be different rules for that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
hey guys im going to buy a new macbook and i want to get special insurance for it. i dont want apple care or that sort of warranty. i want an insurance that covers theft/loss and accidental damage. can somebody advice me the best insurance. thanks

In addition to the previous advice, you might want to take a look at Safeware insurance. LINK

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain renter's insurance will cover that. I have a friend, who had his car broken into and his camera gear etc. was stolen and it was all covered by the renter's insurance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most home owners policies have a deductible and usually do not cover accidental damage away from the premises. Renters insurance is even more restrictive. Remember, a notebook computer can be used away from your home or apartment. Safeware insurance coverage is probably better for him.

Reaction score
Homeowner/Renter policies (they are the same for contents, the Homeowners just adds coverage for the dwelling itself) will cover your macbook, however it would be subject to a deductible. This may vary by state but $250 to $500 is typical. You might want to call your agent and ask about a Personal Articles Floater. This is the type of policy used for jewelry, cameras, guns, silverware, fine art, etc. It comes with no deductible and has broader coverage (e.g. the Homeowners covers "theft" while the Pers Article Floater covers this and "mysterious disappearance" as well, meaning there doesn't have to be evidence of theft, you could have just misplaced it).

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Some credit card like the one I have gives double the warranty. In other word, Apple gives you one year, the credit card cover the following year with the same warranty policy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.