I am a musician! Plelp me choose my gear! IMAC or MACBOOK

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to MAC products! I've been using PCs all my life until now and I've decided to move to MAC....I've already put a deposit for a MACBOOK Pro 13 inch 2.44 Ghz....And I was intending to use it to record music with M-Audio Profire 610. But after some research I found out the the Hard drive speed for this model of MACBOOK is only 5400 RPM....A bit slow for a notebook to be used to record Cubase projects of up to 30 tracks sometimes.....

But then I also saw that at this price more or less, I could also get myself an IMAC 21,5 Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz which will have a hard drive of 7200 rpm SATA...

For music recording, which one will be more suitable.....I wanted to be mobile but the IMAC HD screen and its faster Hard drive is really tempting me now to go for an IMAC.....

Here are the two models...
MACBOOK PRO:
Apple MACBOOK PRO MC374B/A review cheap prices Apple MACBOOK MC374B/A best buy discount online uk shop

IMAC:
Apple iMac MB950B/A / Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz / 4GB / 500GB / 21.5 inch / SuperDrive / Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard / Desktop PC - Computing at Play.com (UK)

I hope that with your advice, I'll be able to choose wisely!!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I would say that for your intended use, the Macbook is the way to go, because you will need the mobility it allows you in my opinion.
Both are suitable for recording, and if you max out the RAM in the Macbook you'll have no speed issues.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Don't pay too much attention to the RAM and HDD space. You can always upgrade these yourself without voiding the warranty. Get the fastest processor you can afford, and slowly upgrade the rest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.