Any ideas to repair iMac 400 G3 spec ed screen

Reaction score
Hi, I have amongst my collection of Macs the iMac G3 special edition, works fine but the screen is going, fades to green and is hardly readable! Would love to keep it. Does anyone have any ideas, can it be repaired? Thanks for any help :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most anything can be repaired if you have the time, money, knowledge, and can get hold of the parts. ;D

Take a look here for parts for your G3. Hard to say what it could be though. From your description it could be a bad logic board or the display.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, I have amongst my collection of Macs the iMac G3 special edition, works fine but the screen is going, fades to green and is hardly readable! Would love to keep it. Does anyone have any ideas, can it be repaired? Thanks for any help :)

Repairing or replacing a CRT picture tube or components is definitely a task for an expert! There are safety & complexity issues...plus sometimes you need special test equipment to identify what component are defective or "weak"

Here's a link that explains some of the details:

TV and Monitor CRT (Picture Tube) Information

Those iMac G3's are worth anywhere from $0.00 to $50.00 depending who's selling one...and who's buying. Personally...I wouldn't pay any more than $20-$25 for a REALLY nice one...working perfectly. A busted one or semi-working one I probably wouldn't even bother with.

So what I'm saying is...you don't have a lot of "wiggle" room when it comes to purchasing repair parts without exceeding the value of the computer. Taking on this repair project would be more from the "challenge" or love for the computer standpoint:)...than the financial.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys, will look at links but guess its the dump for this one, its purely for the love of the machine, the design is so great, its sat unused for a couple of years anyway.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks guys, will look at links but guess its the dump for this one, its purely for the love of the machine, the design is so great, its sat unused for a couple of years anyway.

Depending where you live (if you're going to trash this computer)...maybe someone here on Mac-Forums lives close enough to get it from you...or you could sell it on Craig's List as a parts computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
If it has good clean plastics, bezel etc..you could use on the next one you find.. Im with pigoo3..the last one I bought was $12.00 with out a HD..found a Slot load on the street not long ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.