Recommend a good HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
Looking to buy an external HDD at a min. of 1Tb. Anyone with a unit they are pleased with on a performance/value ratio?
TIA ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd recommend sticking with a brand that actually manufactures the drive mechanism itself. Examples include Western Digital, Seagate and G-Tech (Hitachi). The worst mistake you can make is to buy a really pretty external from a company like LaCie, but end up with a crappy Samsung or Toshiba drive mechanism inside.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
Good advice CWA. Anyone know of any assembled in the USA?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good advice CWA. Anyone know of any assembled in the USA?

You won't find any. Even some very large server drives (RAID, etc) are no longer assembled in the USA. At one time "BIG IRON IBM" manufactured their own drives in the US but they quit doing that years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I have never been let down by Western Digital. I have however, been let down by failing Seagate and Maxtor drives. Not surprisingly, Seagate and Maxtor I believe are one in the same. I've heard nothing but good things about G-Tech, which as said above uses Hitachi drives, and they not only look nice, but use high speed I/O ports such as eSATA and Firewire 800. G-Technology - G-DRIVE - Professional External Hard Drive

Looking at B&H's website, prices are very similar between G-Tech and WD drives, but WD is now offering USB 3.0 1TB drives, and some other really nice looking stuff as well. I'd look there if I was you. Page 4: External Drives
(that's page 4, make sure to look at the other 3)

doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Another fan of WD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
I'd recommend sticking with a brand that actually manufactures the drive mechanism itself. Examples include Western Digital, Seagate and G-Tech (Hitachi). The worst mistake you can make is to buy a really pretty external from a company like LaCie, but end up with a crappy Samsung or Toshiba drive mechanism inside.

I have no qualifications to disagree with you. I found your post interesting because I have purchased a number of drives from LaCie and have always had excellent luck with them. None ever failed.

Are there certain WD, Seagate, or Hitachi drives with firewire capability that you recommend?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.