How to use macbook's vpn connection if you have an .ovpn file?

Reaction score
Hello. I have a macbook pro. I can see in the network preferences that there is an option for vpn connection.

I have an .ovpn file given & inside it contains all details of the server that i'm trying to connect to along with my connection credentials.

How can i use macbook pro's built-in vpn facility with my given .ovpn file.

I tried using external software:

• Tunnelblick
  • Cisco VPN

but somehow it wont work & i don't know how to.

What is the simplest method of establishing a VPN connection if i already have an ovpn file.????

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Have you tried these steps? I don't use VPN so I can't help you much.

Creating a Tunnelblick VPN Configuration
Create a folder anywhere (on your Desktop works well);
Name the folder with the name you want the configuration known by in Tunnelblick;
Put all the files related to the connection into the folder (see Files Contained in a Tunnelblick VPN Configuration, below);
Add an extension of ".tblk" at the end of the folder name. When you do this the folder will change into a Tunnelblick VPN Configuration.
To install a Tunnelblick VPN Configuration, just double-click it. You will be asked if you want the configuration to be private or shared. A private configuration may only be used when you are logged onto the computer. A shared configuration may be used by anyone who is logged into the computer. If the name you have given conflicts with the name of an existing installed configuration, you will be given the opportunity to change the name.

That's it! You are done. The configuration will be available immediately in Tunnelblick.
wConfigT - tunnelblick - Setting up Tunnelblick - Project Hosting on Google Code

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.