Airport IP issues

Reaction score
Hi, until saturday morning my internet had been working fine on my macbook pro (2008), no problems at all. But i tried to create an internet sharing network for my desktop gaming PC and thats when things went wrong.
My airport now says "AirPort does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet"

And then goes on to say "AirPort has the self-assigned IP address (IP address) and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

(i am using a Belkin N1 vision modem router if its any use)

How do you going about fixing this issue so i can connect back to my wireless. i have had a look on the internet for help but haven't succeeded yet.

any help would be appreciated

Ollie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Were you connecting the PC by cable to your Mac?

To share your connection you need to connect to your router with your Mac over wifi, enable internet sharing in System Preferences and connect your PC to your Mac with an ethernet cable.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you just connect your gaming PC to your router via an Ethernet cable or a WiFi adapter?

Internet connection sharing is great in a pinch. As you can see, it can be flakey and its usually not worth the time and effort to establish and maintain the connection unless there are no other options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.